What is it? Does it matter?

What is it and does it matter?  Your thoughts?

This entry was posted in B&W, Creative, Nik Silver Efex.

1. al campoli October 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

a piece of driftwood

2. Daniel Ruf October 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

Doesn’t matter to me. It’s just a beautiful graphic image.

3. Lea Gallardo October 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Doesn’t matter what it is as long as it feels good and, it feels good.

4. Scott O October 11, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Amazingly creative JB. I never would have thought to do this! A real winner. There is a contest this month on Shutterbug, subject negative space. A perfect entry.

5. Mark Summerfield October 11, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

There is no need to know what the subject is for graphic images like this to work. Sometimes, as in this case it is actually better not to know so that the viewers imagination can fill in the gaps. Nice image, John.

6. John Heise October 11, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

Would that be an arch in Devils Garden? Nice

7. john8276 October 11, 2012 at 11:54 pm #

Good comments, thanks. Answer to come in next post. 🙂

8. felice October 12, 2012 at 6:49 am #

I love abstract landscape images and find that I, as the artist/photographer have to see/feel meaning in my own image. It may or may not have the same meaning for the viewer, but it’s terrific when it does. Graphically, this image is well balanced and interesting and is especially powerful in B&W. My 2cents.

9. Bob Towery October 12, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

Broken elbow bone?

10. Alice Olive October 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

I don’t care what it is. It is beautiful to look at. The dramatic black and white and the texture.

11. Ken October 19, 2012 at 3:12 am #

Metate Arch, of course!
    Nice images John!

12. marty golin October 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

The impact of an image depends (IMHO) on the graphics of an image. In this case the graphic nature screams at you, but even the most recognizable subjects ( eg, portrait/people images &, their expressions/stories) are still “presented” as graphic elements.

As noted above, for images not immediately recognizable, as one’s “imagination fills in the blanks,” it is however inevitable that the question of “What it is arises” just as the question of “How processed” may arise for some images. It may not alter our reaction, but natural curiosity is what it is.

• john8276 October 19, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

Dang Marty, I love your comments. Thank you!