Outgoing Tide

I did not have a camera with me as we were working the Race Point area.  It was very cold and windy and I wanted to help others.  After helping, I headed down to scout the beach area and found this gem.  I quickly headed back  to let others know about it and got a camera.  I could not resist.  I loved the sand pattern along with the water that was quickly disappearing into the sand.  I used a Singh-Ray Vari ND Duo filer to dial in a 30 second exposure.  This helped soften the waves and blur the clouds.

This entry was posted in Cape Cod, Color, Essence.

1. Dewitt Jones November 26, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Truly lovely, John!

2. Cynthia November 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

I love this John. The lines, the softness, the colors. It’s beautiful! Oh my, your making me want to get out and take a shot like that myself, but all we have out here today os boring blue sunny sky. Sigh.
    :-)

3. Mark Summerfield November 26, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Nice simple graphic image, John. Really like the way the smaller patterns in the sand lead to the main leading line of the water channel.

4. Ferrell McCollough November 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

Very nice converging lines, a design Freeman would appreciate. You got a winner.

• john8276 November 26, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks Ferrell. I think of our journey to South Africa to be with Freeman often. I have the picture of our gang visible in my office to see each day. That was a trip for the ages!

5. Alice Olive November 26, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

Stunning. I love the muted colours and composition.

6. Stan Silverman November 27, 2012 at 3:51 am #

Wow! I love this shot. Very strong composition. I love the ridges in the sand bar. The whole image has a nice softness to it. Good job!

7. Carl Rubino November 27, 2012 at 3:54 am #

Hi John: Can’t resist the invitation. I think the crop (i.e. lower version) makes sense for the following reasons. First, the upper photo shows a fair amount of blue sky at both the upper right and also at a point in about a third of the way from the left at the top of the image. In my opinion these two areas are an invitation for the viewer’s eye to leave the frame. By significantly reducing the amount of blue sky in those two areas, the crop removes the invitation. Secondly, I feel that the crop results in enforcing and strengthening the diagonal formed at the underside of the clouds running from what is now upper right (after the blue is reduced) toward the left side of the dune at middle ground which then is “picked up” or nearly intersected by the diagonal from nearly mid ground to lower right formed by the sand “ridges” and “valleys”. To me, all of the seems to run the viewers eye throughout the image, whether they “start” viewing at the top or the bottom. Thirdly, by strengthening the prominence of the clouds (by significantly reducing the blue sky as mentioned above) I feel there is a strengthening of the still subtle, yet apparent or implied, pattern repetition between the bottom of the clouds and the sand pattern at the lower third of the image, which I think is truly appealing. Finally, the crop at the top serves to lower what I see as a “secondary” sort of horizon line that appears just at the bottom of the dunes in mid-ground, that I think is effective and “balancing”.
    As for rules, I’m all for “breaking the rules” and often feel that the best sound in photography is not the click of the shutter, but the sound of one or more rules being broken by a photographer who has vision. I love this image, as I do your work in general. Take care….Carl

• john8276 November 27, 2012 at 3:58 am #

Hey Carl, Thanks for the thoughtful comment. And thanks for your kind words too. Glad you’ve stopped by to add to the discussion.

8. Felice November 28, 2012 at 8:26 am #

A stunner – so calm and moving at the same time – not an easy achievement. So glad you went back for your camera.

9. Ts December 11, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

my kind of stuff, bossman! Tremendous!!