Chasing Images

This image was created on the last morning of our workshop.  We went to a different part of the dunes, a part that I am not as attracted to.  While out there, I was fighting old familiar feelings of self doubt. You know, I’m not seeing anything out here, this is not as good as the other side, I’m not feeling inspired out here today, etc, etc… Then I stopped, I mean literally stopped and just stood still for about five minutes. Then I thought, why am I chasing images that are not here? Why am I chasing images that are like the other side of the dunes when that is not what is here? At that moment, I realized I was indeed trying to find more of the same in an area that did not offer the same. I remembered that I needed to stop chasing and start letting images come to me! Then as the sun crested the horizon, I began to see shapes forming around the ridges of the dunes and this image offered itself up. A much different image than the other dune images I’ve been posting, however, a worthy image non the less.

So, stop chasing and start allowing images to reveal themselves to you. Much like the last line in the movie August Rush where the young boy says, “the music is all around us, all you have to do is listen.” I say, the images are all around us, all you have to do is see.

This entry was posted in B&W, Death Valley, Essence, Inspiration, Landscape, Uncategorized and tagged , , , .

1. daDa March 27, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

think this is by far my favourite! Just love it!

2. Jan Beernaert March 27, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

So very true! Go out with an open mind and let the images take you.

3. Bob Towery March 28, 2013 at 12:12 am #

By far the hardest thing to do in photography! Kudos to you for being brave enough to try. BTW, where is the great image you finally found?

4. Shaun March 28, 2013 at 2:15 am #

I’d have to say your instincts were right, in that this is not as strong an image as the one(s) you posted earlier, which I assume were from “the other side”. But, this is still a good image, worth taking and worth posting.

Thanks for sharing your inner torment with us (I think…)

• john8276 March 28, 2013 at 2:47 am #

Interesting Shaun, I’m rather fond of this particular image as is Graham I see. :)

5. Bruce Sorrell March 28, 2013 at 10:45 am #

Nathaniel Emmons wrote that “Habit is either the best of servants or the worst of masters.” It”s a delight to see someone break free of a habit and then to be well rewarded for doing so. That’s a beautiful shot and I’m glad you and Graham are enjoying it. :) Slainte!

6. Dennis March 28, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

John, your commentary is really helpful. I’ve been in the “self-doubt” situation many times and this is a great way to work it out. Thanks!! Image is very sensual and the sky is so supportive.

• john8276 March 28, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

You’re welcome Dennis. My guess is there are many who struggle with self-doubt, so we are NOT ALONE!! :)

7. Felice Willat March 28, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

Sublime

One of my favorites of yours, John
    Congratulations on your patience and insight.

8. Charlene Rusch March 28, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Your post reminds me of this….. The world is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.

• john8276 March 29, 2013 at 1:26 am #

Love that Charlene. Thanks for your comment.

9. Daniel Ruf March 29, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

Great advice and I would have to say that this is my absolute favorite….Didn’t I say that already a couple of posts ago? Well seen and well done.

10. Milbren Thomas March 29, 2013 at 12:51 pm #

John, this is my favorite, love it. Henri Matisse decribed the artistic process:
    To achieve, the artist will have to sift rather than accumulate details.

11. Karl Graf March 29, 2013 at 11:01 pm #

John,
    Very different and distinct from your other images. Your treatment of the sky is intriguing.

12. Arthur Ransome March 30, 2013 at 1:56 am #

And the moral of the story is that without self doubt there is no growth…. If we don’t question what we see or how we feel we loose the ability to discover.

13. Arthur Ransome March 30, 2013 at 1:58 am #

PS. Phenomenal image JB…. Mad at myself for not seeing it :-)