A Special Moment

Sometimes the elements align and you are presented with a scene that screams to be photographed.  On my third trip to Magnolia Gardens, I was finally beginning to relax and “see” images that were not as obvious as the ones I had been shooting.  I don’t know about you, but I bring to my photography other images I’ve seen, especially images I may have seen from the location I am shooting for the first time.  I call this my “Visual Portfolio”.  (Thanks Terry!)  In the case of Magnolia Gardens, I’ve seen glorious images from my buddy Tony Sweet.  It was hard not  to run to the arching trees or white bridges and make the same images.  So I did!!  Then, I wanted to step back and see what else I might find that was not in my “Visual Portfolio”.   Just on the other side of the famous and oft photographed white bridge, was this delicate scene filled with flowing color and strong lines created by the three main foreground trees.  It immediately drew me in and has become a personal favorite from the trip.  I know I’ve said it many times, however, it is worth repeating over and over, when I was finally “still” the images began to come.

This entry was posted in Charleston, Color and tagged , , , .

1. Joan Herwig April 7, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

John,
    I LOVE this image – it is so lovely & so special. I am glad it is not in my “visual portfolio”. I also found this blog to be very inspiring and you shared these helpful thoughts with such clarity. I anticipate this blog making a big difference in my shooting. Thanks!
    Joan Herwig

• john8276 April 7, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

What a kind comment Joan. Thanks so much for stopping by. I’m happy to know you find value in my blog. 🙂

2. Chuck Kimmerle April 7, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

Very, very nice. I still would have shot it in b/w, though. Gray is the new pink.

3. Bruce Sorrell April 7, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

John,

This one is simply stunning, what with the juxtaposition your composition created between the strong, gray, enduring trees and the bright, beautiful, but evanescent azaleas…one beautifully told story. Your backstory on this one reminds me of your recent advice….walk over the dune and see what’s on the other side. For this very engaging image is clearly “YOURS.” The first image with the white bridge…well, more like something from your “Visual Portfolio.” Bottom line…I’ve never seen a photograph from this region that captures the sense of the place as well as you did with this one. I hope you are incredibly proud of this one, ’cause you should be! Slainte!

4. Scott Oberle April 7, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

Amazing place JB, and you certainly did it justice.

5. Luna Lovegood April 7, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

Wonderful image. Captured the essence of the ancient swamp.

6. Karen Messick April 8, 2013 at 2:32 am #

Lovely light and beautiful comp!

7. Peggy W April 8, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

I wonder in your visual engaging with a scene, if a series of interactions occur. For instance, do you first notice strong lines and then realize that other elements like color also are working? Or maybe it is a single striking element – like the uniquely bent tree in a background of red rock, which begs to be put into a composition. Your super images – the final compositions demonstrate the (very talented) eye of the photographer. Others would miss this.

• john8276 April 8, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

Thanks for your thoughts Peggy. Yes, I was fist drawn to the color, then the lines and then I saw other things when I was processing the RAW file.

8. MWS April 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm #