Living in the Past – Nik Software Deal!

There is an abandoned home in the Eureka Mine area of Death Valley.  This little scene was inside one of the remaining buildings.  Using some of the techniques that Chuck Kimmerle shared in his processing tips session of our workshop, I’ve crafted this black & white version.  I can’t imagine living for years in such a remote HOT area.  Living like this in the past would not have agreed with me.  Taking pictures of it today.  That works!

Just incase you’ve not heard, Nik Software (Google/Nik) is now offering their entire collection for $149.00!  And, if you use my code JBARCLAY you’ll save a few more bucks! If you’re one of the rare few who has not picked this up, its a no brainer and the best deal on the planet.  Click the link and get it!

This entry was posted in B&W, Chuck Kimmerle and tagged , , .

1. Dick April 26, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

I do like this shot, John. A big fan of B&W, one of the styles I often try to emulate is higher contrast, perhaps a bit grit…like this one.

2. Sherry April 28, 2013 at 1:00 am #

John, What will Nik software do for me that Topaz doesn’t?

Thanks

• john8276 April 28, 2013 at 1:04 am #

Sherry, Nik and Topaz are both essential in my mind. Nik for me does a better job with selective control or local control if you will. This is done via their U-Point technology. Viveza specifically is used almost everyday in my workflow. Then you have Color Efex for lots of filter effects with local control built in to it as well. Of course there is Silver Efex which is a stella B&W program with abundant control. For the price it really is a no brainer. Trust me, you’ll love the Nik Collection.

3. Dick April 28, 2013 at 1:15 am #

B&W software has really come quite far very rapidly. I credit Apps. As they moved to the desktop, Apps such as SnapSeed brought a TON of Nik’s capabilities with it. Competition like that brought software bundles down in price…Nik and PerfectPhoto as well. Now I notice that OnOne has a desktop App version of their Perfect B&W. With so much great software available I find it hard to find a reason to use all of them not to mention the time.

• john8276 April 28, 2013 at 1:55 am #

I find just the opposite Dick, I love playing with all of them!! 🙂

4. Arthur Ransome April 28, 2013 at 1:45 am #

Freaky – I am working on images from the same scene and just came to your blog to take a break and saw this…. After seeing this though, I think I will move on to something else – terrific comp, tones and texture John. The Chuck Kimmerle method worked well – maybe hes secretly wishing he hadnt shared it around 🙂

5. Bob Towery April 28, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

Nice decay scene!

6. e-dude April 29, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

I see you upgraded your kitchen since my last visit. It’s about time!

7. Jim Stephens May 2, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

This subject would have been great for a Lensbaby image as well.

• john8276 May 2, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

Indeed it would have. If only I had remembered I had one in my bag!!!!