When the light is good its great!

Why do we make numerous runs to favorite locations?  Well, because the light is different each time.  Take the case of Steptoe Butte from which this scene was shot.  Each time on this trip the atmospheric conditions were different.  On this particular night the air was much cleaner and thus clearer, making for what you might call “cherry” light.

This shot is a bit out of the norm for me.  I’m typically more drawn to the the simple graphic patterns from the Butte.  Maybe it was the light that caused me to include the farm and more trees than normal?  I’m not sure, but what I do know is that I loved the golden quality of the light!  When the light is good, its great!

This entry was posted in Color, Palouse, Photo Tour and tagged , .

1. Lois Mauro July 5, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Absolutely beautiful, John.

2. Memory Roth July 5, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Wow, John the light is good!!! Fantastic photo!!

3. Stephan July 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

Tuscany in the Palouse! Golden and magical light indeed! The light, clarity and details are amazing!

As you mention, “Why do we return to our favorite places or choose where we live and enjoy coming back and home each time?” One answer, it is ever changing, not to be repeated and never the same! I am amazed at those that simply check places off on their bucket lists abd think they have seen it all in one visit, trip or stay! Imagine living in the Palouse area, seeing weather develop and jump into action to head to your favorite places or continue the adventure of finding the infinite possibilities that the location and its surroundings offer! What keeps us in one location or coming back for more?

Seems there are miles and miles of endless possibilities! A lifetime of images and possibilities yet to be discovered!

• Stephan July 5, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

PS Imagine owning and living at that farm!

• john8276 July 5, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Amen, Stephan. I love going back and back for these very reasons, it really never is the same. Oh and to be able to be in the Palouse for about 6 weeks!! That would be wonderful.

4. al campoli July 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

Hi John,

Can you share your camera settings and any post processing software you may have used on your recent post?. It’s absolutely a beautiful shot, as are all of them.

Thanks
    Al

• john8276 July 5, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

Well, the settings were f/8 at a 1/30 of a second. For processing very little was done. Most was done in RAW processing on this one. I did use Topaz Clarity very gently and then sharpened it. When light good, not much is needed.

5. Victoria July 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

WOW! Just wow.. Speechless.

6. Nicki McManus July 5, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

I can certainly see why you hold the Palouse so close to your heart. What a beautiful part of the country, and you capture it so perfectly for us. I would also like to 2nd Stephan’s comment, couldn’t have said it better myself. As always, great work John, Thanks for sharing.

7. Bruce Sorrell July 5, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

Yet another breathtaking photograph, John! Since photography translates to “writing with light,” I’d say this shot proves you possess onehellofa fine vocabulary ! Do keep them coming.

Slainte!

• john8276 July 5, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

You are very kind Bruce. Thanks.