And the Sunset Color goes on and on and on….

Iceland_2013Jul04_0362

It is quite an experience to see the sun set and then come up again a few hours later in almost the same location!  With that, if you are treated to sunset/sunrise color, it will go on and on and on.    This particular image was captured at the end of our time at a specific location where our attention was directed elsewhere.  I had just had a conversation with a participant about finding and shooting softer scenes.   I mentioned Eddie Soloway, who’s work I admire.  Eddie has a softness to much of his work that is wonderful.  As I looked to the sky behind me I recognized what I now call a “Soloway” type situation.  I corralled two others who were heading back down the hill and encouraged them to come back up and get this.  This is a favorite from the trip for a number of reasons.  It will remind me of this wonderful night of endless and glorious light.  It confirmed that I can recognize a soft “Soloway” type scene.  It is a reminder that not all scenes need to be bold and dramatic.  Sometimes soft and gentle is good.

This entry was posted in Iceland and tagged , , .

1. Louise Shoemaker July 17, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

Beautiful! How I wish I had followed you up the hill! But I did find a few softer scenes at various points, too, and have my eye attuned to those possibilities!

• john8276 July 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Thanks Louise. I look forward to your images.

2. Bruce Sorrell July 17, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

John, that is one beautiful change of pace. So very calm and peaceful. One of those quiet light photos that remind me of John Sexton’s wonderful work. Your observation that not all scenes need to be bold and dramatic is spot on, and that thought makes me wonder why so many of our post processing tools and techniques lead us down the path towards ever bolder, stronger, and more dynamic images. I agree with you that sometimes a whisper conveys more than a shout. I’m going to work on remembering your good insight.

Slainte!

Bruce

• john8276 July 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Thanks Bruce. I’m glad this post sparked some thoughts about softer work.

3. Bonnie Rovere July 17, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

Sky blue pink…beautiful!

4. James Milligan July 18, 2013 at 12:14 am #

This is a perfect example of “it’s all about the light”. Unless you actually experience locations that produce a” special quality of light” you will not get it. My wife -a non photographer as she is-now gets it but she needed to see how the light turns a landscape into a magical scene. 5 AM in the desert produced a scene that opened up a new vision for her of the natural world. Welcome home to the heat!!!

5. betty wiley July 18, 2013 at 11:40 am #

such beautiful colors – I love that pink/blue color combination…this is another example where less is more…

6. Daniel Ruf July 19, 2013 at 11:37 am #

Love the simplicity and mood. Great image.

7. vicente machado July 22, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Dear John:
    thanks a lot for showing us also the Eddie Soloway’s beautiful work.
    Pure enchantment.

• john8276 July 23, 2013 at 1:31 am #

You’re welcome Vincente. Enchantment is a good word for Eddie’s work.