Finally, the sun sets!

Iceland_20130704_1452

This image was made shortly after the previous post. From the metadata, it looks to be shortly after the sun had finally set.  As you can see, the sky was ablaze with some yummy color.  Again, I looked for a unique rock to have as a foreground to place with the dramatic sky.   For the processing of this image I had shot two frames, one for the sky and one for the foreground.  Using some tools in Photoshop I was able to blend the two exposures to make something close to what I remember seeing that night.  Whereas the previous post was shooting what I refer to as the backside sunset, this time I’m shooting towards the ocean into the sun.

This entry was posted in Iceland and tagged , .

1. HMCA July 23, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

Spectacular color………love this image!

2. Victoria July 23, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

This is awesome! I absolutely love the foreground rock and of course the sky is spectacular. With the tiniest bit of imagination, the rock becomes an alien creature. An amazing image!

3. robyn July 23, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

Gorgeous John! Absolutely gorgeous! Have a fabulous day.Robyn

4. Nancy T July 23, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

This is spectacular! The rock is very prehistoric looking….

• john8276 July 23, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

Always appreciate your stopping by Nancy. Thanks.

5. Bob Towery July 23, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

Pretty amazing. Looks like an ancient lava creature!

• john8276 July 23, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

That would have been a better title for the post!

6. Luna Lovegood July 23, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Stunning.

7. John Heise July 23, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

Blue Ribbon-Best in Show, in technical terms- Dang that’s pretty!!

8. Bruce Sorrell July 23, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

That is one spectacular image, John! Breathtaking in the way the cool foreground colors contrast with the warmth of the horizon yellows and the cardinal colored clouds. And I strongly second Victoria’s spot on observation regarding your “rock creature.” Nice touch in how you position the “head” so that it is haloed by the brightest part of the sky. Bottom line: damned well done! I’m curious as to why you opted for just two exposures to be merged in Photoshop, rather than taking a more expansive series and processing in Photomatix. I’d appreciate knowing your thinking behind that choice. But in the end that photograph is dynamite!

Slainte!

• john8276 July 23, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

Mostly because I’m not into processed HDR much anymore. As such, I prefer to blend images and have been learning some tricks for do so. In this case I had plenty of data with two captures, especially with my D3x files. I think a blended image is much more natural looking. Don’t get me wrong. I still used Nik HDR from time to time on certain images.

9. Stan Silverman July 23, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

Beautiful shot, John. Not as subtle as the last one but I think this is my favorite. Great job of blending 2 exposures – I wouldn’t have known if you hadn’t had told me. That should be looked at as a complement.

• john8276 July 23, 2013 at 10:16 pm #

Thanks Stan. I used some new techniques. More to come on that in a later post.

10. Daniel Ruf July 24, 2013 at 10:54 am #

It’s beautiful and the blended approach really has a lot of merit. Thanks for sharing and can’t wait to see more from this trip.

11. Joe Farrell July 24, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

John:

Excellent image and the blending is superb. Love the color and the rock is so cool.

Joe

12. Brenda July 25, 2013 at 1:56 am #

Of course, stunning, but well composed, too. Love the balance of colors in this one, JB. Are we going to see a lot more Iceland pictures soon?

• john8276 July 25, 2013 at 3:05 am #

Thanks Brenda. Yes, more to come so stay tuned. Enjoy your upcoming trip and Doug D. He is a kick!

13. Tom July 25, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

This image is hot – hot I tell you! In the immortal words of Adrian Cronauer: It’s damn hot! It’s so damn hot, it’s about to burst into flames!