A different take on the Icelandic Horse

With my passion for B&W images, I couldn’t help but play a bit with one of the horse images.  I was trying to channel my best Cole Thompson and Chuck Kimmerle together.  It will be interesting to see the response this one gets.  I suspect you will either love it or hate it.  For those curious about the processing, I used Nik Silver Efex Pro and then added a touch of Glamor Glow with Nik Color Efex Pro.

Iceland_2013Jul07_0433GG

This entry was posted in B&W, Chuck Kimmerle, Cole Thompson, Fuji X-E1, Iceland and tagged , , , , , , .

1. Bonnie Rovere August 5, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

As a horse and pony owner, I love it! I wish we could keep our guys and girls that shiny and bright! Beautiful!

2. Phyllis Burchett August 5, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Nice processing, I’ll be staying at a Horse Farm in 2.5 weeks in southern Iceland….can’t wait! Been enjoying your images and looking forward to my trip….just got home from Ireland, what a beautiful country.

• john8276 August 5, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Thank you Phyllis. I was hoping you’d see it. You will LOVE Iceland.

3. Joe M August 5, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

This photo is perfect. LVoe kit.

• john8276 August 5, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Thank you Joe. Glad you like it.

4. Cynthia August 5, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

I love it! It really makes the horse stand out. Great job John!!! And the friend of mine I mentioned i my last email to you has a rhino picture I would love to give this sort of treatment to. The rhino is close up, like this horse but with the body heading the other direction while the rhino is looking at him and just starting to charge. The hind feet of the rhino are kicking up a little dust cloud too. The head is in sharp focus the body is in softer focus, perhaps because of the motion, or maybe depth of field, I’m not sure. But it is a great picture and I could just see it in exactly this type of processing. Wow!

5. David August 5, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

I like it!

6. Frank Smith August 5, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

Great capture. I love the light.

• john8276 August 5, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

Thanks for stopping by Frank.

7. Arthur Ransome August 5, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

By borrowing from two great B&W photographers, you created……. a John Barclay. The black horse in the background is a nice contrast – the image would be so much different without that horse. Depth of tone is beautiful.

• john8276 August 5, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

And coming from yet another great B&W photographer, THANK YOU Arthur.

8. marty golin August 6, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

I fully agree with Arthur…. Acknowledging historical “dots” is wonderful, but each of us adds our own. At some point, assuming one internalizes past images of others, their influence is more sub-conscious, & you don’t even think to give “credit,” since at that point none is really due; then they are John Barclay’s. (ps. minor point – Did you consider this image as square? Would emphasize the black horse & the formality of the square “supports” the classic white vs. black theme, or obvously at least to me.)

• john8276 August 10, 2013 at 11:30 pm #

Thanks Marty. A bit behind on some of these comments. Square might be a bit tight…. but I’ll give it a try.

9. Michel Taupin August 8, 2013 at 1:58 am #

I like it. NIce horse John. I like your channeling

10. Bob Towery August 9, 2013 at 11:06 pm #

I’m good with the processing! Would make an interesting print.