Sleepy Hollow Lighthouse

0728_Sleepy Hollow_1661

My friend Stephanie posted a picture of this lighthouse that knocked my socks off.  She shot it at twilight with a great sky, it is amazing.   I asked her where it was and she was kind enough to share.  Of course the day I went, it was overcast.  No problem, I have tools in Photoshop I can use.   I went to my trusty Totally Rad –  Dirty Pictures plug-in that works so well for texture work.  I used a favorite texture that I’ve used for another lighthouse shot and created this!   I pass by this location often so you can be sure I’ll keep a camera in the car hoping for better conditions.

If you are interested in texture work, Dirty Pictures is a great tool that makes it easy.  I have a video (or two) on my tutorials page that will help you understand how it works.  Remember to check out my discounts page before you buy, there is a discount code there!

This entry was posted in Totally Rad and tagged , , .

1. Shaun August 20, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

Very nice image, John. I recognize the texture and the overall look from your excellent texturing video, which I have watched several times. Definitely worth going back when there is more drama in the sky. I am still using Dirty Pictures for texturing, as you advised a couple of years ago.

I’m guesssing you shot this from Kingsland Point Park, with the Tappan Zee Bridge in the background…

• john8276 August 20, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

I think you’re right Shaun it was Kingsland Point Park. Easy to get to on the east side of the Tappan Zee Bridge.

2. Dennis August 20, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

John, I really like it just as it is. Yes, you can return and get a dramatic sky (which you always do great, by the way) and beautiful lighting etc., etc. But, in my opinion, this one has the mood and character that is a lighthouse. Lighthouses on a sunny day, (again, to me) are mostly calendar or postcard shots that lack the foul weather mood associated. This one works with the added texture. Very nice!!!!!

3. Joan Herwig August 20, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

I LOVE this John! Fantastic image!

4. Josh August 21, 2013 at 1:36 am #

Wow!

5. Daniel Ruf August 22, 2013 at 11:55 am #

A real beauty and the texture work really sets the lighthouse off.