Cape May with the Singh-Ray Mor-Slo

Just back from my weekend workshop with a really fun group in Cape May.  We were blessed with two wonderful sunrises.  Here is one from the beach in front of the Le Mer hotel where we stay.  Early morning long (25 seconds) exposure using the Singh-Ray 10 stop Mor-Slo filter.  A great filter for smoothing out the water and clouds.  Shot with Fuji X-Pro1 14mm 2.8 lens.

file387

This entry was posted in Fuji and tagged , , , .

1. Buddy Eleazer September 23, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

John, I love the filter when I get it right; however, even with sun directly behind me, I sometimes get misc. prism like colors. Any tips?

• john8276 September 23, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Hummm, I’ve not experienced that thus far Buddy. Have you sent a picture of the anomaly to Bob Singh? Thats what I would do. Have him evaluate it.

• Buddy Eleazer September 23, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

My filter is actually the vari-ND filter. Thanks for the tip. I just sent a few examples of the problem to Singh Ray

• john8276 September 23, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Well that is a different story… if you push the VariND to the max it will give weird “butterfly” wings… dark areas that look terrible… Not so with the Mor-Slo… they are straight ND filters… not Variable.

2. Luna Lovegood September 23, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

cool

3. Kren September 23, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

Yes, we are pleased you managed to order up those sunrises, Barclay. Nice work.

• john8276 September 23, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

You’re welcome Kren. Thanks for coming. Always good to visit with you AND your terrific family. Even I want your iPhone guy… 🙂

4. Kren September 23, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

By the way, your blog background makes it very hard to read anything other than the content text. User names, for instances, are impossible to see. Links aren’t much better.

At least on my non-nuclear-fusion, non-Photoshop-optimized, generic work monitor.

5. Joan Herwig September 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

This is a wonderful image John. I love it’s softness & light — beautifully done!

6. David September 23, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

So that’s how it’s done! Great image. Thanks!

• john8276 September 23, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

Yup, must my take David. I’m sure you’re are gonna be KILLER too!

7. Bruce Sorrell September 23, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

John, that is one beautifully serene photograph which is about as close to painterly without relying on paint as one could get. Once again your play of the warm tones (sand) vs the cool of the sky interact to makes for a most delightful image. It reminds me of what you did with many of those Gehry shots. I’m curious about your choice of cameras in that I’ve noticed you alternating between your Fuji Pro X-1 and the X-E1. Is there a reason you opt to use one over the other?

Slainte!

• john8276 September 23, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Thank you Bruce. Fuji X-Pro1 versus X-E1. Glad you asked Bruce! I’ve answered this question in private emails to where I can cut and past the answer. I started with the X-E1 and fell in love with it. So much so, that I knew I wanted to use my Fuji kit for my next trip to Cuba. I did NOT want to go without a backup. With prices $600 lower and lens deals in September, I opted to get the X-PRO1 as I was missing an optical viewfinder from time to time. They have the same sensor and IQ is identical. The major differences are no electronic cable release for the PRO. ONLY EFV on the E-1 while the X-PRO has both EVF and optical. That said the EVF on the E1 is better than the PRO. The PRO is slightly bigger which in my case is desired. Fits my hand better. So, I’m alternating because I’m attaching a different lens to each body so I don’t have to change lenses. Thats pretty much it! I guess, its time to write a Fuji blog post…. 🙂

• Bruce Sorrell September 23, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

Many thanks for the compare/contrast, John! Sounds like you could write a book vs a blog on the differences between these two cameras. I’m content to see us as blessed with an abundance of good choices when it comes to gear. Now if we could only find a way to order up good light on demand. 🙂

Slainte!

8. BillG September 24, 2013 at 12:46 am #

Hey John, Love the shot and love my Fuji’s. Curious which Mor Slo filter did you use the square? I don’t see one with a 58mm ring? Or is there a step up ring available?
    Thanks.
    -bill

• john8276 September 24, 2013 at 12:51 am #

I used my 77mm and handheld it.

9. BillG September 24, 2013 at 12:59 am #

Makes sense – and I guess with the long exposure you don’t need steady hands (mine aren’t). Any movement of the filter would just aide in making the shot more ethereal. Thanks JB.

• john8276 September 24, 2013 at 2:40 am #

Forgot they make the square version of that… Although expensive, it would solve some issues… I’m hoping Singh-Ray will start to offer 58mm or even 62mm filter sizes for the smaller camera. You would think the “mirror less” market would be wanting these tools too, right?