New Hampshire Birch

20131005_New Hampshire_0011

I’m a fan of the white Birch in New Hampshire and loved the mixture of color found around this scene. I am curious to know your thoughts though. How do you feel about the busyness of this image and what do you think of the alternate square crop below?  UPDATE – SEE BELOW

20131005_New Hampshire_0011SQ

[Tweet “Fall Color in New England”]

UPDATE – I’ve toned down the Birch on the left per a readers suggestion.  I like it much better!  You?

20131005_New Hampshire_0011

20131005_New Hampshire_0011SQ

This entry was posted in Fall Color, New Hampshire and tagged , , , , .

1. Lea Gallardo October 10, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Tending toward the square presentation. It’s just a gut feel thing; can’t explain why.

It’s lovely, by the way.

2. Phyllis goodfriend October 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

Hi, John. I love the image. The square crop is a huge improvement. It brings the image out of the realm of business and into the realm of good composition.

• john8276 October 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

Appreciate the feedback Phyllis.

3. Denise October 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

I have to agree with the above comments. I liked the first one just fine… then studied the square and it grew on my and surpassed the rectangle… Although i think it loses some of the beautiful reds, it is ultimately a pleasing image and less busy. ;)

• john8276 October 10, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Appreciate the feedback Denise.

4. Kate October 10, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

I favor the square image, John — I feel more “present” in the scene. It takes me there. Lovely!

• john8276 October 10, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

Thanks Kate. Seems like I’m a square…

5. Vicki DeVico October 10, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

I’m going to go against the common thread here and say that I like the rectangular version better. I usually prefer square formats but in this case it feels a bit cramped and crowded. Like one of the previous commenters, it’s just a ‘gut’ feeling, but somehow trees and forests don’t feel right being contained in a smaller box. I do love the image, either way. White birch trees are a favorite of mine and the color here is stunning!

• john8276 October 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

WOO HOOO! A vote for the rectangular image!! Thanks Vicki! :)

6. Victoria October 10, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

I love reading the comments ALMOST as much as I love seeing the photos. I too favor the square presentation… and although I miss some of the reds I do feel the square is a much stronger composition. The diagonal and vertical lines of the birches take me to the top and the reds at the bottom pull me right back down into the image. I don’t know if there is a path through the center… but I can imagine one and would love to follow it. :-)

• john8276 October 10, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

Victoria, I too enjoy the feedback. It always reminds me that there is typically no one right answer, rather many right answers.

7. James Milligan October 10, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

OK, I will lean toward the minority opinion,rectangular it is. I find the vertical image eliminates some of the clutter and allows the eye to focus on the birches. Just my humble opinion. Looks like the color was great,wish I could say that for the Poconos.

• john8276 October 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Thanks Jim. Still early for the Poconos… next week should be better if you’re allowed on the land…

8. vicente machado October 10, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

Both photos are great.
    But I prefer the first cropped format, also because the better contrast and colours it has.

9. Daniel Ruf October 10, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

I vote for the square as it pushes the bright whiteness of the left side birch farther away from the grouping. For some reason my eyes are distracted by the aforementioned tree and wonder if it couldn’t be toned down to fit into the scheme better.

10. mIKE2881 October 10, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Both great images John- I would like the 16 x 9 version except for the closer birch- it’s placement and brightness for some reason bothers me but the square crop seems to work better for me, in MHO.

• john8276 October 10, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

I like the comments about toning down the foreground birch… will do that right away! Thanks.

11. al campoli October 10, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Beautiful color. I’m also a fan of birch trees in the fall. I like the square image because it seems to highlight the white tree trunks against the colors of the leaves.

12. Stephan October 10, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Absent seeing the comparisons, each image stands on its own brilliance and beauty.

Seeing the rectangle vs square crop, I see the square crop including the left portion so that you do not lose the brilliance and contrast of the red and further include the harmonious patterns of the tree trunk lines. Always options! Great image to make you feel as though we are there!

Heading for the gold in the Sierra Mountains!

13. Vicki DeVico October 10, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

John, toning down the tree on the left made a great improvement to both images. I stick with my choice, though…still prefer the horizontal composition. :)

14. Bob Towery October 10, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

I’m going with the horizontal crop. Why? Because it is a busy image and more is not better in this case.

Life’s a birch!

15. e-dude October 10, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

I like the colors. Sets a seasonal sense.

16. Victoria October 10, 2013 at 8:09 pm #

Yes on toning down the bright white! Came back for another read… besides enjoying the different perspectives, I almost always learn something here or take away something to think about!

17. Peggy W October 10, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

The fall woods – great color – so beautiful. Thanks for posting it. A strong element in your image is the convergence of the three birches near top center. I think it creates a tension. In the horizontal, the darker trees on the left add depth and along with the rightward reaching branches, I think have a gentling affect on the image. By cropping you have focused on the drama of the birch. I imagined the top image without the rightward slanting birch. The balance then changes. I think the image relaxes. No saws in the camera box : ) And, the tension has its own merit.

• john8276 October 10, 2013 at 11:33 pm #

Well thought out Peggy. I too think the balance changes between the two.

18. Shaun tucker October 11, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

You and your beautiful tree photos! Reminds me of your backyard. We need to visit again! Nice shot John!

• john8276 October 11, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Thanks Shaun. Always good to catch up with you.

19. Anibal Sanchez October 13, 2013 at 4:06 am #

Hello. This is Sgt. Sanchez from the prestigious airport of Tampa Bay. I am urgently trying to reach John Farrel of da Sawckz to let him know that he has left a large package of bats on the luggage carousel at the prestigious airport of Tampa Bay. I figured he might be looking at pictures if birch trees trying to fashion some new lumber and may turn up here… so if you hear from him please have him contact me to claim his property.