One More

20131001_New Hampshire_0935Glow

Fuji X-E1 – 55-200mm

In my last post I said, “at first blush there seemed to be just one composition, just one shot, the wall of color, however, that is almost never true.”   The lead image in today’s post came after being mesmerized by the wall of color, working that scene AND THEN looking for something else.  It pays to stay in a location for more than a few minutes.  If you are still and allow it, more images will present themselves.  Don’t be so quick to move on to another location. And look, there was a vertical composition too!

20131001_New Hampshire_0943

Fuji X-E1 – 55-200mm

A comment with regard to the comments that were shared on my last post.  With the exception of one, all liked the tighter square crop best.  If you recall, I said I presented three right answers, however, most settled on one they preferred.  What does this mean?  First, I would suggest if you had never seen the square crop you would have liked one of the other image just as well.  In addition and probably more importantly, I believe it cements the idea that it pays to work a scene that you are drawn to.  As you simplify the scene, leaving behind just the elements that matter, while eliminating all that don’t, typically the image becomes stronger.  I think that is exactly what happened with that last post.  Folks were drawn to the neat tidy composition more than the others.

20131001_New Hampshire_0940square

While shooting with Dewitt Jones one time, I was struck by how patient and willing he was to stay with a subject.  He found thistle in a field as the sun was setting and stayed in that spot for almost 2 hours.  He never moved, he was invested in that moment.  He was drawn to this particular scene and was willing to stay and work it.  I remember his wife Lynette saying, just move on if you wish, he will be there for awhile!  She knew that he would be happy alone, working the scene.  I remember thinking, what on earth does he see?  I don’t see a thing! Was I ever wrong, the result of his patience was brilliant!

For the processing of the lead images, I used a diffused glow technique.

This entry was posted in Fall Color, Fuji, Fuji X-E1, Landscape, New Hampshire and tagged , , , , , , , .

1. Nancy T October 15, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

Beautiful scene…always good to go both horizontal and vertical….loving the square! The red tree really pops!

• john8276 October 16, 2013 at 12:04 am #

Thanks Nancy. Do you know when you shoot a vertical? No? Right after the horizontal. :)

2. Phil Sokol October 15, 2013 at 11:22 pm #

Hi John,

Love the processing on the lead image. When you say you used a “diffused glow” technique, what does that entail?

• john8276 October 16, 2013 at 12:03 am #

Make a duplicate layer. Change the blend mode to Soft Light now go to FILTER/BLUR/GAUSSIAN BLUR. Next increase the blue with the sider to taste. Then I typically slide back the opacity of that layer to anywhere from 60% to 80% depending on the image.

• Phil Sokol October 17, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Thanks! exactly the kind of processing coaching I need. You da man!

3. Bill Starr October 16, 2013 at 12:07 am #

JB,
    These are drop dead gorgeous shots. But I’m having trouble figuring out which elements matter in the above pics. Even though the lower two are tighter compositions, I keep going back to the top image and liking the larger scene. As usual, nice job on all of them.

• john8276 October 16, 2013 at 12:23 am #

Thanks Bill. I too love the first image in this case.

4. Stephan October 16, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Another great post and examples of visions and seeing beyond. I too am drawn to your first image in this post… Possibly the red as we miss a lot of that in CA!

With shooting square for over 30 years, I always knew I could crop vertical, horizontal or leave as is. Your story of Mr. Jones is great … sometimes you know and are drawn … Seeing what it here’s do not see, yet you are standing right there. As like knowing the stars above and knowing where to look, we become familiar with our visions and what appeals to us. That is when you know. Sharing those visions or finding your own… that is what keeps the individuality, personality and style of our work and gifts.

Great post! Here’s to visions, captured and creations!

• john8276 October 16, 2013 at 4:56 pm #

As always, thank you Stephan.

5. Sarah Marino October 23, 2013 at 2:15 am #

This is a beautiful selection of images, John. I love the colors and the details. The white trunks add a lot of graphic interest and I really like the abstract quality of each.