The Fuji X-E1 and 14mm lens at Fonthill

The last two Sundays I was leading groups at Fonthill.  As these were not my workshops, I had a chance to snap a few images with my Fuji X-E1.  All images shot with the Fuji 14mm 2.8 prime lens. The last image is a 5 shot HDR capture processed with Nik HDR Efex Pro 2.

20131027_Fonthill_0175

20131027_Fonthill_0137

20131027_Fonthill_0105

20131027_Fonthill_0144

20131027_Fonthill_0169

20131027_Fonthill_0116color

20131027_Fonthill_0157

20131027_Fonthill_0134

20131027_Fonthill_0178

20131027_Fonthill_0135

20131027_Fonthill_0179_HDR

This entry was posted in Fonthill, Fuji, Fuji X-E1 and tagged .

1. Karl November 4, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

It’s amazing what the extra few degrees that the 14 degree wide angle gives you. I rented one one time for one of your Fonthill shoots. Your images provide that extra perspective.

• john8276 November 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

Keep in mind Karl the 14mm on the Fuji with its APS “C” sensor is a 21mm Full Frame equivalent. :)

2. roni November 4, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

wow. awesome images with that cute little camera!!!

• john8276 November 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

Thank you Roni. It is cute huh? :)

3. Scott November 4, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

I was surprised to see that onlyl the last one was HDR. Some nice processing John!

• john8276 November 4, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

I don’t do much HDR anymore with the exception of blending images manually in PS. This one was a test to see how the Fuji would do with HDR. I was VERY pleased to say the least. My friend Betty Wiley has convinced me to try HDR Expose 3 next. I want to see how it stacks up against the Nik product.

4. betty November 4, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

great set of images John and it was good to see you at Fonthill!

• john8276 November 4, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

Thanks Betty. ALWAYS good to see you and looking forward to this week.

5. Linda November 4, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

Awesome series John. The B & W images gives a unique visual perspective of Fonthill. Did you use a tripod or handheld?

• john8276 November 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

All on a tripod Linda and thank you!

6. Karen Messick November 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Great series JB! Love the Table Chair and Steps! Have not seen that comp before!!

7. Scott O November 4, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

Super as usual JB. Don’t know if you noticed, but these are completely sharp front to back. Amazing!

8. Dick November 4, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

couple of firsts here for me, John. These are the first of your many Fonthill images I’ve enjoyed as much (more?) than your iPhone shots, and the first HDR I’ve liked in a long time. Cute little cameras rule

• john8276 November 4, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Why thank you Dick. Yup, Fuji RULES!

9. Ts November 4, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Great work, bossman!

10. Phil Sokol November 4, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

Really cool, Mr. Barclay! Have you thought about when your workshop there next year might be?

• john8276 November 4, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

I will be picking dates this month. You will be the first to know!

11. Joan Herwig November 4, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

Wonderfully sharp! Wow, that little Fuji can produce! Great series John!

12. Dorine L November 4, 2013 at 8:20 pm #

Wow, amazing JB. I especially loved the image with the blue cup/saucer with all the elixir bottles. The DOF and sharpness is amazing. Guess I need to get myself and my Fuji in on one of your Fonthill sessions one of these days!

13. Denise Molzahn November 5, 2013 at 1:35 am #

I really enjoyed your talk at the Harrisburg Camera Club event earlier this year and have also been enjoying your posts, as well as the video tutorials on your web site. I have a couple of the Topaz products and recently took advantage of the discount to get the NIK Collection. So please keep the tutorials coming – I’m counting on them to help me make the most of the software!

Denise Molzahn

• john8276 November 5, 2013 at 3:03 am #

Glad you enjoyed it Denise. I’ll keep the tutorials coming, promise.

14. Stephan November 5, 2013 at 4:59 am #

WOWmazing JB! After seeing your Fonthill images over the years, it looks like you had an amazing day with lighting and that your knowledge of your subject definitely shines through the images!!

The depth and brilliance of the captured detail / colors and post-processing are masterful! As like Mr. Ansel Adams, there is one thing about being the photographer, but there is equal importance in the development, processing and custom darkroom work – especially the digital darkroom!

Again, WOWmazing JB!

15. Katz Lee Finch November 10, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

I like the way the early morning shadow goes across the wood floor in the bedroom – it creates that early morning wake up feeling. I noticed there was another bed that was the same color and style. Was that also in that room with a different floor under it? Anyway, great shots! I hope to be there with Rad next year.

• john8276 November 11, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

A different room for the other bed. Thanks for kind comments and I hope to see you next year too!

16. Don January 30, 2014 at 4:59 am #

Great shots John! Really amazing how Fuji has managed to reduce the distortion produced by that lens, optically and/or in Raw conversion? Or was there some serious post-processing field-bending happening? I can remember the 20mm canon FD I used to shoot on 35mm film would have bent those perpendicular lines all to hell.

Either way, it accomplishes the objective of making me feel connected to the subject, and to want to get there. Well done.

• john8276 January 30, 2014 at 5:06 am #

No pixel bending in PS at all actually. That lens is really that good. :)

• Don January 30, 2014 at 4:30 pm #

I am believing you, John. Skimming through a review of the lens here, http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-fujifilm-fujinon-xf-14mm-f2-8-r/ , I read this:

“The Fuji 14mm f/2.8 has virtually ZERO distortion. None. I’ve seen some reviews that show that by empirical measurement, there’s 0.4% barrel distortion, but with a value that incredibly low, it looks absolutely perfect in the final images. These are not corrected in camera either…these are true, native optically corrected results, and this kind of performance is simply remarkable in a lens this wide.”

This lens looks like a must have.

• john8276 January 30, 2014 at 4:38 pm #

Other than the VERY LOOSE aperture ring, grrrr… this is a great lens. That said, I have the 10-24 on order as I really like wide. Hoping it too is good with distortion although being a zoom it might not be.