Favorites for 2013

Each year as I look back through my images, I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the people I was able to share my passion with.  To all who came on a workshop, a tour or attended a lecture, thank you!  You have enriched my life.  I am also reminded of the amazing places I was able to see.  2013 brought me to Cuba, Iceland, The Palouse, Charleston, New Hampshire, Death Valley, Cape Cod and Cape May!  Wow what a year!

I’m looking forward to 2014 where in addition to the tours  I do with Dan Sniffin,  I will be co-leading a special workshop in Hawaii  with with National Geographic photographer Jonathan Kingston  and guest lecturers Dewitt Jones and Rikki Cooke .  Look for our official announcement in January.  The workshop will be in early December.

Here are some of my favorite images from the past year.  You’ll notice I’m drawn to varied subject matter which includes the Palouse, my granddaughter Abby, the gentle waves of the dunes, the warm people of Cuba and the wonderful Experience Music Project building in Seattle.

Palouse_20130606_0189matted

Charleston_20130405_0006WEB

Iceland_2013Jul09_0905

Death-Valley_20130227_0133mattedweb

Iceland_20130711_0443-Editmatted

Death Valley_20130302_0013mattedDeath-Valley_20130224_0339webframed

Cuba_2013Jan08_1340

Cuba_2013Jan10_0878

2013Jun10_1381

New Hampshire_2013Sep28_0135

DSCF1768

File085matted

This entry was posted in Cape Cod, Charleston, Color, Cuba, Death Valley, Fuji, Fuji X-E1, Fuji X-Pro1, Gehry Building, Iceland, Palouse and tagged , , , , , , , , .

1. betty December 27, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

Oh my…I can easily see why these are favorites…each and every one is a great image…I’m particularly found of your black and white images from death valley, but I love them all!

• john8276 December 27, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Thanks Betty! We will make more keepers in Cuba soon!

2. Phyllis Goodfriend December 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Beautiful! Can’t wait for my turn in Eastern Sierra. Wishing you and your family a very happy, healthy new year.

• john8276 December 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

We are going to have fun Phyllis!

3. Merrill Thomas December 27, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

As expected, wonderful images, John. Looking forward to seeing you in DVNP in four weeks.

• john8276 December 27, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Thanks Merrill. Looking forward to visiting with you too!

4. Alice Olive December 27, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

Great post. I’m so glad to have discovered your work – truly inspiring! All the best for 2014!

• john8276 December 27, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Thank Alice, as is you work!

5. Louise December 27, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

A gorgeous group of photos! How blessed I feel to have been on your trips and to have shared some of these moments with you and Dan. Here’s to more fun in 2014! I can’t WAIT!

6. Victoria Porter December 27, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Stunning images.. some I’d not seen before. I too like the B&W images a LOT which surprises me because I usually prefer color. The Death Valley dunes are particularly sensual and the curved lines of the dunes capture the eye perfectly. The photo of the Cuban man in the doorway with his wife (?) in the background is AWESOME as is the photo of your adorable granddaughter. Happy New Year!

7. Stephen McCullough December 27, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

John
    I’m glad you decided to do a Best Of.
    I always enjoy the things you post. A great blend of inspiring and useful. Thanks for everything’ in the past year and best wishes for ’14.

As for these photographs – they reveal your great eye for capturing the emotion in a scene. What a pleasure to see them al together like this.
    Stephen.

8. Scott O December 27, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

You had quite a year JB! Tremendous variety in both subject matter and technique. These could represent a career portfolio for some photographers…

9. Larry Richardson December 27, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

Thanks for sharing these photographs you have made. I think my favorite of your favorites is the little girl and her hat. I think one of the best things to have happened to me this year is attending your presentation in Plymouth. The Plymouth Digital Photographers Meetup group has presented me with a new opportunity in my photographic journey. I will be signing up for your workshop on the Cape with Betty. Since moving to Kingston, MA after living in Vermont for 45 years, I am looking forward to capturing new environs.

• john8276 December 27, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

Thank you Larry. I’ve enjoyed getting to know you a bit and look forward to seeing again.

10. Jocelyn December 27, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

Always enjoy your work. Hope to get out to “play” soon. I am going to pick
    My faves as well.

11. Shaun December 27, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

A wonderful set of images, John, an testament to a year of outstanding artistic achievement.

I must have been following your work closely throughout the year, I just realized, as I recognize all of these images except the one of the little girl. Is that Abby? It’s a beautiful portrait of a perfectly sweet little girl.

This set re-establishing your claim to the title of “The Sky Man” and it is noticeable that you have chosen to express so many of those sky images in B&W. It works wonderfully.

One of the highlights of my year was your workshop at Fonthill, an experience that I still savor and that I cannot recommend highly enough.

Happy New Year!

• john8276 December 27, 2013 at 7:10 pm #

Thanks Shaun. Yes indeed that is my granddaughter Abby. I suppose I should have made a comment or two about some of the images.

12. Ts December 27, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

my favorites too! Great stuff, bossman!!

13. Ron Coscorrosa December 28, 2013 at 5:26 am #

Excellent and diverse set John! The B&W dunes are truly great. I really enjoyed the shots from Cuba, Charleston, and the Puffins as well. Hope your 2014 is as productive as 2013!

• john8276 December 28, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

Thank you Ron. We will be back in the Dunes in a month. Can’t wait!

14. robyn December 29, 2013 at 2:27 am #

All are extremely favorite worthy! And so diverse too! Love them all! Blessings, Robyn

15. Jeremy Woodhouse December 29, 2013 at 3:39 am #

I am working on a new website and I came across a quote which reminded me of your “Dream. Believe. Create”.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones that you did do. So throw off your bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. – Mark Twain

• john8276 December 29, 2013 at 3:55 am #

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing

16. Stephan Dietrich & Family January 2, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

A very good year indeed! Each captured moment a treasured gift! One can only imagine the thoughts behind each one! Thanks for sharing! Here’s to the gifts and treasured moments ahead! Happy New Year!

• john8276 January 2, 2014 at 6:32 pm #

Thanks Stephan. Happy New Year to you and your family.

17. Steve L January 2, 2014 at 11:58 pm #

Great wrap up. Fine work, John.
    Happy shooting in ’14!

18. Chase Dallura January 5, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

Happy New Year John. Aside from the sheer beauty of your 2013 favorites, I felt you were really living in the moment with each of these images.
    Thank you.