Alabama Hills #2

_DSC9151-Edit-2-Editmatted

[Tweet “Alabama Hills #2 B&W image from John Barclay”]

This entry was posted in B&W and tagged , , , .

1. betty March 3, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

what a spectacular black and white capture…looks like the cloud gods cooperated for you and your group John!

• john8276 March 3, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

Thanks Betty. Yes, the clouds were tremendous this day. Blessed!

2. Rich Lewis March 3, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

I don’t know what else to say other than this is a beautiful image. Great composition, cooperative sky and stunning tonal range.

• john8276 March 3, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

Thanks Rich. I’m very happy with this one. So much so, I felt it would be best to just present the image. :)

3. Steve Zigler March 3, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

Wow! Those clouds are amazing! Very nice image! Was this Saturday?

Very nice contrast and tonality, too. Can you share some tips on post processing? Strictly Photoshop with BW and curves layers, or add-ins, too? Thanks!

• john8276 March 4, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

Steve, for this particular image I used did all of my RAW processing in RAW to maximize the color image. I then used Nik Silver Efex to do 90% of my B&W conversion. I then used the dodge and burn tools (as suggested by Cole) to further tweak specific areas of the image.

• Steve Zigler March 5, 2014 at 7:54 am #

Cool. Might have to give that add-on a try…

4. john8276 March 3, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

I can Steven when I get a chance. Not this was the first session in the Hills on Friday.

• Steve Zigler March 5, 2014 at 7:52 am #

I hope that was Saturday. I don’t remember seeing those beauties!

• john8276 March 5, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

I take that back, just checked metadata and indeed this one was Saturday. The previous was Friday.

5. Dore' March 3, 2014 at 4:21 pm #

No words needed John. A stunning image.

6. Stephan Dietrich March 3, 2014 at 9:06 pm #

Intense image and moment! Amazing when it all comes together… especially when traveling and working on a schedule. I’ve been there many times with no clouds or completely clouded over… nothing like what you encountered!

The Eastern Sierra Gods were shining upon you and your group! Wowmazing capture and post work!

• john8276 March 3, 2014 at 9:44 pm #

I agree Stephan. It is really hard when on a schedule. I always say the “great” photographers are not necessarily great because of their skill, they are often great because they have the time to put themselves in great position for success… I hope that makes sense. I’m speaking specifically to landscape folks. I mean if you can go to Iceland for 1-3 months you’ll likely have more success than I who was there for 10 days on a schedule… So yes, its nice when it all comes together!

7. Daniel Ruf March 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm #

O.k. so what’s the going rate for God to arrange all these incredible skies that you always seem to stumble on? An absolutely marvelous group of work and I really like the “tension”, if that’s the right word, of directional changes…rocks shooting one way and sky moving the other.

8. john8276 March 4, 2014 at 8:07 pm #