A breath of color

My friend Stan had the great idea of going to Longwood Gardens to stimulate our senses with a breath of color having endured this winter of endless cold and snow.  So, here is a splash of color to compliment my recent series of B&W images.  Don’t worry, I have more B&W images to come. I even have one from Longwood!

DSCF4472-Edit

Fuji X-E2 – Fuji 60mm Macro at f/22

Processing inspired by Kathleen Clemons.  Nik Color Efex Pro, Glamor Glow, Soft Focus, Darken Lighten Center, and Viveza

This entry was posted in Color, Fuji and tagged , , .

1. lisas March 7, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for posting this beautiful flower bursting with it’s lovely color & textures! Just what my eyes and mind needed as a pleasant distraction from this wintery season. Let the blooming begin. Please share more.

• john8276 March 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

Thank you. It was nice just to be in the warm surrounded by color!

2. betty March 7, 2014 at 3:10 pm #

this is just beautiful…and I’m jealous…over the shot and the fact that Longwood is close to where you live…thanks for sharing how you processed this!

3. Merrill Thomas March 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

What’s all that “color noise”??
    Nice photo, John. I think I am about to pull the trigger on buying a Fuji mirror less.

4. Mark Stevens March 7, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

Gorgeous !! What else can i say ?

5. Diana March 7, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

Lovely, just what was needed on a cold ND morning!

6. Kathleen Clemons March 7, 2014 at 5:10 pm #

Thanks for the mention, John! That’s a lovely shot.
    Hope to see you at Longwood in May!

• john8276 March 7, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

Hey the GREAT Kathleen stopped by! Thanks Kathleen.

7. Linda Russo March 7, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

Lovely!

8. al campoli March 7, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

Beautiful Stan. Wish I had your processing touch.

Al

• john8276 March 7, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

Stan? Now you’re giving our friend STAN credit for my picture?!?!? :)

9. Barbara K March 7, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Ummmmm……….. I’m buying my X when the local cam store gets their next shipment in – still debating between the 60 and the 35. Would love to see a shot showing the bokeh of the 60. This is a beautiful shot, JB!

• john8276 March 7, 2014 at 10:20 pm #

Coming from one of THE flower QUEENS I’ll take that!! WWWOOOOO HOOO!! I’ll take a picture of Abby wide open for you.

10. Irwin Lakin March 7, 2014 at 10:52 pm #

Wow what a fantastic floral image!! It would be great if you could do a tutorial on how you processed this image for the nubies in post processing or write an article on this. Or maybe you can give us a link that would describe your post processing process. Thanks John!!

• john8276 March 7, 2014 at 10:53 pm #

Thanks Irwin. I’ll consider it but that would mean I have to remember how I did it? :) Kidding, I think I can.

• Irwin Lakin March 10, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

Thanks for considering it. I know you are a busy man being on photo shoots all the time which leaves you little time to process in front of your home computer. But I”m intgerested. I love that floral image.

11. Joan Herwig March 7, 2014 at 11:16 pm #

Wonderful image John! I am glad to see a macro image from a Fuji X camera because that is one of last concerns of mine before making the plunge to a Fuji X -T1 from my Nikon D700. I do a lot of macro & I hadn’t heard any feedback on the 60mm macro lens or how manual focussing does with the EV finder when doing macro etc, etc. I must say the fabulous quality of your macro image here speaks volumes – it really is lovely & sharp with wonderful color!
    Joan

• john8276 March 8, 2014 at 2:15 am #

Joan, with the new viewfinder and the unique and amazing split screen option on the T1 along with the focus peaking in red or blue… Macro or critical focusing is a piece of cake. It is a game changer for that. Now is the 60m like my old Canon 180? Nope, It does not have a tripod collar which I miss terribly. And the working distance is not like the 180 either. So, hopefully Fuji is thinking about a macro with a tripod collar with a bit more reach for working distance and softer backgrounds. But I can’t fault them because they have released a number of great lenses in a very short time.

• Joan Herwig March 8, 2014 at 4:36 am #

Thanks John, I appreciate you sharing your assessment of the focussing and the Fuji 60mm vs. Canon 180 (collar, working distance, bokeh etc.). I have a Nikon 200mm Macro lens which I love, but it seems that Fuji is listening and producing what is needed & wanted. What I seem to be hearing is that just because the Fuji X system is not perfect or complete now doesn’t mean it is not worth investing in, because they will get there. Thanks again for sharing – very helpful!
        Joan

12. Kren March 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

You went to Longwood and didn’t invite me??? That’s it. You’re dead to me.

13. Stephan Dietrich March 8, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

Spring has sprung! Nothing like the awakening of spring with its color, vibrancy and celebration of life…

You’ve captured great color, detail and brilliance of this flower – which likely would make a nice b&w as well!