A breath of color

My friend Stan had the great idea of going to Longwood Gardens to stimulate our senses with a breath of color having endured this winter of endless cold and snow.  So, here is a splash of color to compliment my recent series of B&W images.  Don’t worry, I have more B&W images to come. I even have one from Longwood!

Fuji X-E2 – Fuji 60mm Macro at f/22

Processing inspired by Kathleen Clemons.  Nik Color Efex Pro, Glamor Glow, Soft Focus, Darken Lighten Center, and Viveza

This entry was posted in Color, Fuji and tagged , , .

1. lisas March 7, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for posting this beautiful flower bursting with it’s lovely color & textures! Just what my eyes and mind needed as a pleasant distraction from this wintery season. Let the blooming begin. Please share more.

• john8276 March 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

Thank you. It was nice just to be in the warm surrounded by color!

2. betty March 7, 2014 at 3:10 pm #

this is just beautiful…and I’m jealous…over the shot and the fact that Longwood is close to where you live…thanks for sharing how you processed this!

• john8276 March 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

I have a seasons pass! 🙂

3. Merrill Thomas March 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

What’s all that “color noise”??
    Nice photo, John. I think I am about to pull the trigger on buying a Fuji mirror less.

4. Mark Stevens March 7, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

Gorgeous !! What else can i say ?

5. Diana March 7, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

Lovely, just what was needed on a cold ND morning!

6. Kathleen Clemons March 7, 2014 at 5:10 pm #

Thanks for the mention, John! That’s a lovely shot.
    Hope to see you at Longwood in May!

• john8276 March 7, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

Hey the GREAT Kathleen stopped by! Thanks Kathleen.

7. Linda Russo March 7, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

8. al campoli March 7, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

Beautiful Stan. Wish I had your processing touch.

• john8276 March 7, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

Stan? Now you’re giving our friend STAN credit for my picture?!?!? 🙂

9. Barbara K March 7, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Ummmmm……….. I’m buying my X when the local cam store gets their next shipment in – still debating between the 60 and the 35. Would love to see a shot showing the bokeh of the 60. This is a beautiful shot, JB!

• john8276 March 7, 2014 at 10:20 pm #

Coming from one of THE flower QUEENS I’ll take that!! WWWOOOOO HOOO!! I’ll take a picture of Abby wide open for you.

10. Irwin Lakin March 7, 2014 at 10:52 pm #

Wow what a fantastic floral image!! It would be great if you could do a tutorial on how you processed this image for the nubies in post processing or write an article on this. Or maybe you can give us a link that would describe your post processing process. Thanks John!!

• john8276 March 7, 2014 at 10:53 pm #

Thanks Irwin. I’ll consider it but that would mean I have to remember how I did it? 🙂 Kidding, I think I can.

• Irwin Lakin March 10, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

Thanks for considering it. I know you are a busy man being on photo shoots all the time which leaves you little time to process in front of your home computer. But I”m intgerested. I love that floral image.

11. Joan Herwig March 7, 2014 at 11:16 pm #

Wonderful image John! I am glad to see a macro image from a Fuji X camera because that is one of last concerns of mine before making the plunge to a Fuji X -T1 from my Nikon D700. I do a lot of macro & I hadn’t heard any feedback on the 60mm macro lens or how manual focussing does with the EV finder when doing macro etc, etc. I must say the fabulous quality of your macro image here speaks volumes – it really is lovely & sharp with wonderful color!

• john8276 March 8, 2014 at 2:15 am #

Joan, with the new viewfinder and the unique and amazing split screen option on the T1 along with the focus peaking in red or blue… Macro or critical focusing is a piece of cake. It is a game changer for that. Now is the 60m like my old Canon 180? Nope, It does not have a tripod collar which I miss terribly. And the working distance is not like the 180 either. So, hopefully Fuji is thinking about a macro with a tripod collar with a bit more reach for working distance and softer backgrounds. But I can’t fault them because they have released a number of great lenses in a very short time.

• Joan Herwig March 8, 2014 at 4:36 am #

Thanks John, I appreciate you sharing your assessment of the focussing and the Fuji 60mm vs. Canon 180 (collar, working distance, bokeh etc.). I have a Nikon 200mm Macro lens which I love, but it seems that Fuji is listening and producing what is needed & wanted. What I seem to be hearing is that just because the Fuji X system is not perfect or complete now doesn’t mean it is not worth investing in, because they will get there. Thanks again for sharing – very helpful!

12. Kren March 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

You went to Longwood and didn’t invite me??? That’s it. You’re dead to me.

13. Stephan Dietrich March 8, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

Spring has sprung! Nothing like the awakening of spring with its color, vibrancy and celebration of life…

You’ve captured great color, detail and brilliance of this flower – which likely would make a nice b&w as well!