Goodbye to Coal Pier 18

For years we have been photographing at Coal Pier 18 in Philadelphia. I’ve been hearing that it is no longer accessible and was going to head down to find out for myself.  Yesterday, a friend saved me a trip telling me that it has been fenced off and construction has begun.  And it is being policed with threats of arrest of you trespass.  I guess thats progress.  Its been a wonderful place full of many great memories.  Here are a few favorites from the last few years.  A special shout out to my bud Dalyn who was always willing to come with a new outfit. Remember to click on the image if you’d like to view it bigger.

2010Dec23_Graffiti_0214

2010Dec11_Graffiti_0057

2010Dec23_Graffiti_0179v2

2010Dec23_Graffiti_0196

2010Dec23_Graffiti_0209

DSCF5428

DSCF5400

_DSC0535

DSCF5545

2011Apr02_0010v2

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , .

1. Scott O March 14, 2014 at 2:04 pm #

I’ve never even been there and I am sad! Thanks for the memories JB!

• john8276 March 14, 2014 at 2:05 pm #

It would have been one of the places I’d have taken you when you visited Scott. Sad indeed.

2. Celeste Mahmood March 14, 2014 at 2:40 pm #

Love the one with the tea…

3. betty March 14, 2014 at 3:34 pm #

I am sooooo glad I got to go there with you and Dayln! Good memories and great shots. All good things must come to an end I guess.

4. Dalyn March 14, 2014 at 4:35 pm #

Chain link is the enemy. Those were good times indeed.

• john8276 March 14, 2014 at 7:23 pm #

Indeed CL is the enemy. Great times indeed.

• john8276 March 14, 2014 at 7:24 pm #

We got some good stuff Betty!

5. Marzena March 14, 2014 at 9:18 pm #

These are great. I went there only once , but I am glad I did. Wish could go again :(

6. robin March 15, 2014 at 10:23 am #

wonderful memories! Thank you for sharing your pictures.

7. robyn March 16, 2014 at 12:24 am #

Each and every image is magnificent in it’s own right. Really great! You might be interested in the current exhibit at The Bucks County Project Gallery in Doylestown. The exhibit features photographic interpretations of graffiti and tattoos. It is a really nice exhibit with a myriad of artistic expressions. I think the show runs through the month. Our mutual friend Dore Vorum and I both have works hanging. Best, Robyn

• john8276 March 16, 2014 at 12:28 am #

Were you at the opening Robyn? I was there to support Dore’ and my friend Stan who had three images hung as well! Thanks!

8. Stephan Dietrich March 20, 2014 at 4:24 am #

The Coal Pier 18 Project…

As the sayings go, “All good things come to an end…” and “There is always a reason…” … I would simply assume that something happened, that control of the area was required and there likely is an explanation…

As for a positive note and for historical, artistic and site preservation purposes, you might want to contact your local artistic society, community (city, county, etc.) agencies (including law enforcement) … investigate, discover and find the true story behind the closure. You will likely obtain some answers, reasons, explanation, etc. etc. …. and you just might find that you might gain private access or, better yet, find a way to preserve what has been created…

Or, if nothing else, share your story, the stories of others and your (and other) visionstic images of the location… You never know until you try.

BTW: I have always enjoyed viewing your images from this location!

Long live Coal Pier 18… Yours and others images have preserved the treasures created! Here’s to positive thinking!

9. Ryan Kelly March 24, 2014 at 11:14 pm #

It’s still open I was just there and security did chase me out last weekend but they do that in the beginning of every summer since the 80’s

• john8276 March 24, 2014 at 11:24 pm #

Appreciate the feedback Ryan. It does seem like the information I received was not quite accurate. Good news!

10. Fred Weyman April 15, 2014 at 6:42 am #

I was just out there for the first time last weekend. No sign of being closed. A handful of people fishing, a huge underage party, and of course the unique, colorful 3D landscape

BTW, Enjoyed your website, check out mine, we have a similar style and eastern PA- west coast orientation.

• john8276 April 15, 2014 at 9:27 am #

Its what I found as well although we were asked to leave by security police last week.