Swiping the Palouse

And now for something a bit different.  Not all images from the Palouse need to be tack sharp.  Sometimes its fun to try “swipes,” a technique where you move your camera while depressing the shutter.  Oft times you will need to shoot a number of them to get one “keeper,” but its worth it and they are fun to do.  If you’re lucky you’ll have an unknown photographer near you wondering what on earth you are doing.  If this happens, just smile and tell them you’re creating art!

_DSC9558-Edit

[Tweet “Swiping the Palouse”]

This entry was posted in Creative, Palouse and tagged , , .

1. Bill Tongue June 2, 2014 at 8:10 am #

I am really enjoying your trip to the great NW. Looks like you were a bit shaky with this one.

2. Alice Olive June 2, 2014 at 8:46 am #

Yes! I love to do these, too! The green makes this especially beautiful.

3. Rich Lewis June 2, 2014 at 9:31 am #

These techniques help allow the photographer to transition from a literal to an abstract artist. I do this all the time, but rarely find a result that fits into my artistic vision. However, where swiping is extremely helpful is to learn about the color, tonality and contrast in a scene without all seeing all the details.

4. Diana June 2, 2014 at 10:20 am #

I love trying this. I often to it with vertical shots, especially trees. I personally love the result you achieved with this shot!
    Di

• john8276 June 3, 2014 at 12:27 am #

Trees are great for swipes.

5. Rona June 2, 2014 at 11:53 am #

I love this swipe, JB! I do these a lot (I call them blurs) but rarely have good success with horizontal ones – I do love them with trees. But this is beautiful – really emphasizes the light and shapes with great tonality.

• john8276 June 3, 2014 at 12:26 am #

We sure missed you on this trip Rona.

6. betty June 2, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

love, love, love…LOVE it…wish I was there in the Palouse with you and your group…next year!