More on “Whose Vision are you Chasing” – New Topaz Webinar June 17.

I’ll be doing another Topaz webinar on June 17th.  You can sign up here but hurry, when I checked with Nichole, 1,300 are already signed up! I will be doing two more this year, you might want to mark your calendars for August 26 and October 28. Thanks for your support.

I can’t stop thinking about the vision conversation. Today, I was listening to music. It was on random play, up came the band Fictionist. Fictionist is a band I love and have a connection to, the lead singer is a friend. I was thrilled when they made it to the final four in the “Rolling Stone” cover contest.  Then they got signed by Atlantic records. The ultimate goal, signed by a record company. Many months went by and still no album. I began to wonder what was going on,Stuart promised it would be coming soon. Nothing. What happened? I finally found out. Atlantic assigned a top notch producer to the project and they started to change their sound. They encouraged modification of the music, new instruments, lyrics, etc.  Today it dawned on me, essentially they imposed their vision on the band. They wanted them to be something other than what they were. What they signed. They wanted something more marketable I guess. At least more marketable according to them. What I love is that Fictionist decided they did NOT want to change. They wanted to stay true to their vision! They approached the management team and came to an amicable agreement to part ways and leave the dream behind and regroup for the moment.  How cool is that?!

When someone is critiquing your work and imposing their vision, I suggest you remember Fictionist and fight for your vision. Feedback is fine, but remember it is coming from their paradigm, their vision. They do not have your vision nor do they know what you are trying to create. As such, be careful not to let them move you too far from what you see and feel.

The blog image today is another from the Palouse. Since my first trip there, I’ve been drawn to the grain elevators dotting the region.  I love this simple graphic image.

DSCF0485-2-Edit

This entry was posted in B&W, Palouse, Vision, Webinar and tagged , , , .

1. Cynthia June 13, 2014 at 9:24 am #

I’ll be there, listening and watching in on Tuesday. I’m one of the 1300! :-) Sorry I’m not yet able to join in on a tour yet though. One of these days for sure but in the meantime I love your latest images from the Palouse. Gorgeous stuff, especially with the light captured. Wow! Now there’s a vision for you!

• JB June 13, 2014 at 9:35 am #

I knew you’d be first! :)

• JB June 14, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

Thanks Cynthia

2. Daniel Ruf June 14, 2014 at 7:53 am #

Wise words, John and sometimes an ongoing battle. I like the bin shot, but would you consider a black “mat” instead of white? Thanks for your continued sharing of thoughts and work.

• JB June 14, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

A good idea Dan. I should have tried the black mat.

• Chuck Kimmerle June 16, 2014 at 5:21 pm #

No, no, no . . . the white “mat” is the right choice. It emphasizes the minority tones in this image, which are the blacks. A black mat would emphasize the white tones which, in this photo, are not only large and square, they are tonally flat. As well, the white mat helps to display the delicacy of the white tones whereas a contrasting black mat would hide such subtlety.

Oh yeah, good post :)

• JB June 16, 2014 at 9:25 pm #

Chuck, thank you for putting in words why I ended up liking white better. My gut said white but I could not explain why.

3. Howard Grill June 15, 2014 at 11:12 pm #

Great story about the band!

I love how the lines and shapes come together and how the shadows themselves have different tones. Glad you got us to run across the street to photography these. At least you didn’t have to twist are arms too hard!

• JB June 16, 2014 at 8:25 am #

Thanks Howard. Glad you like the band too.

4. Howard Grill June 15, 2014 at 11:27 pm #

Looked Fictionist up on YouTube…….I like them quite a bit, particularly ‘Invisible Hand’. Will have to check out where I can buy an album! Gotta love a band who won’t change their vision!

• JB June 16, 2014 at 8:26 am #

Should be able to buy the album directly from them on their website.