The Palouse does B&W – Lenses for sale

DSCF5521-Editbwv2matteframe

In the most recent issue of Lenswork, I was pleased to see a folio of work from the Palouse. It struck me as odd at first as I see the Palouse (with the exception of a few images) as a place that needs to be photographed in color (see color version below). But the images in the folio and a subsequent discussion with a few friends, inspired me to reconsider my position. So, back to our recent conversation about “why and when B&W.”  I said in that post, I tend to think about removing color when I want you to focus on the graphic nature of an image. I remove the distraction of color to reveal the essence of the subject. This image its all about graphic elements. The lines and texture in the barn, only shooting part of the barn, and then the shadow and light play in the wheat field. When I moved beyond my expectation that color is a must and analyzed this image, I realized indeed it does work in B&W. Now to be like Chuck and Cole and learn to see this in the field!

If you missed my recent Topaz webinar, it is now live on YouTube here.    I will add a link on my Tutorial page too.

Its time to clean house as I am shooting primarily with my Fuji gear. I have a couple of lenses for sale.

Nikon 28-70 2.8 –  This is the predecessor to the current 24-70 2.8.  This is a SOLID lens in excellent condition.  It comes with the leather case.  $600.00 – SOLD!

Canon 180mm Macro in excellent condition.  The Canon macro lens to own. I honestly hate to get rid of this lens but its finally time. I thought I had the original box but can’t find it at the moment. Time to clean the basement and find it!  $900.00

I’ll pay shipping on either lens.

DSCF5521-Edit

[Tweet “Palouse does B&W – Lens for Sale”]

This entry was posted in B&W, Palouse and tagged , , , .

1. Bruce Metcalf June 30, 2014 at 10:27 am #

Nice B&W John!

I bet this image would have also been awesome with an IR converted camera!

• JB June 30, 2014 at 11:12 am #

That green wheat would have looked like SNOW!

2. Howard Grill June 30, 2014 at 11:38 am #

I saw that portfolio before the recent workshop and was very intrigued with it.

I have to say, I think this image looks absolutely fantastic in black and white. What grabs me is the wonderful contrast between the barn and the field and then the gentle and subtle play of light and tones on the field itself.

The interesting thing about this image and that LensWork portfolio is that you ‘expect’ to see photos like this in color, so when you are struck with the unexpected….and it works so well…..you sort of say wow, that’s an intriguing and unique interpretation. At least I do! Love it!

• JB June 30, 2014 at 5:02 pm #

Thanks Howard. You see what I was drawn to as well.

3. Stephan Dietrich June 30, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

It works!!! Powerful and impressive B&W JB! This would work well in color or B&W! When it works, it works! Personal preference or speaking to you… the choice is yours. Fortunately, the choices we now have with digital post processing offer much more than before.

As like in visualizing images, visualizing in B&W will come. Not having a color TV until age 18, anything I watched was in B&W. Seeing the color or colorized versions thereafter offered new appreciations.

Prior to digital and when you loaded your camera with B&W film, you were forced to think B&W, use filtration in the field when needed and were committed to B&W. There is still the debate that B&W film is better than digital B&W.

With digital and post work, you can easily transform your captured work into B&W or whatever you wish. If you do not like it when transformed, go back to color or create multiple versions.

What a world we live in! Infinite possibilities with the only limits being your experience and imagination.

Awesome image and post JB! I can see many more of your Palouse images in B&W! Submit them for publication!

4. Barry Wolf June 30, 2014 at 1:41 pm #

Great image and post, JB! Maybe I wasn’t so crazy in my earlier comment. Most images that one sees of the slot canyons in Antelope Canyon are color but I’ve seen some beautiful B&W images from there that, to me, are far more evocative and emotional. IMO, the barn takes on a much more prominent role in B&W than it would have in color.

5. JB June 30, 2014 at 2:27 pm #

Thanks Barry. Good point, I do think I was locked into an expectation. I told you, my blog post are for me!!

6. Brenda July 2, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

Good post, John. I love how in the B&W we see the subtle gradations of light and tonality in the B&W version. They might be there in the color, but the eye doesn’t see them as well, because the color overpowers subtle light changes, I believe. Love this image!