The Yellow Dory

Before my trip to Cape Cod to co-lead two workshops, there was rumor of a famous yellow Dory being spotted. In fact, there were images sent of the storied Dory and an invitation to photograph it, as the tide was low at Sunset the night after I arrived. Why would I pass up an opportunity to see what the fuss was all about? Suffice it to say, I’m am now in love with the yellow Dory.

Stay tuned as the yellow Dory has lead my co-leader to learn of another Dory. This one being red and yes, the first group had a chance to photograph it this morning. All I’m going to say is, it was epic.

_DSF0113-Edit

This entry was posted in Cape Cod and tagged , .

1. Buddy Eleazer September 15, 2014 at 8:55 am #

John, nice shot. I”m a little weary of the use of the word ‘epic’ for every good photo shoot. You’re a bright guy. Please find creative adjectives other than epic, amazing or awesome to describe the photo potential so we will actually know how good it is…. unless it truly is epic.

• JB September 15, 2014 at 10:58 am #

Buddy, I appreciate your concern and you make a valid point. I will try and be more careful about my use of my adjectives. But Buddy, stayed tuned because the light for the red boat was truly EPIC!! Story to come…. 🙂

• Buddy Eleazer September 15, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

John, I hope it is epic! Sorry for picking on your words, it’s just that so many overuse the terms lately. I do enjoy your photography and look forward to the red boat image.

2. Luna Lovegood September 15, 2014 at 9:18 am #

Wicked…..want more images..

• JB September 15, 2014 at 10:58 am #

Patience my friend, patience!

3. James Milligan September 15, 2014 at 9:25 am #

Nice image of the local water fare. High tide might also work well and produce some interesting reflections. Looks like I will just miss. We are doing a family trip on the 21st and I hope to get in some photography. Might you share the harbor which is home to the epic Cape Cod dory? Have a good trip and say hello to Jeff of me.

4. Chase Dallura September 15, 2014 at 9:45 am #

Beautiful composition. Where on the Cape were you shooting?

• JB September 15, 2014 at 10:58 am #

Lower Cape based in Chatham.

5. Karen Messick September 15, 2014 at 9:51 am #

Yellow dory envy!
    A real beauty JB!

• JB September 15, 2014 at 10:59 am #

Thanks special K!

6. Sue Eberhart September 15, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Visiting the Cape in a week but wish I was there with you right now. Do you have a date for 2015 trip?

• JB September 15, 2014 at 11:15 am #

I don’t have dates yet, Sue, but it will be the same time frame. Keep an eye on the blog as I’ll post my regional workshops in November.

7. Daniel Ruf September 15, 2014 at 1:25 pm #

A dandy!

8. Dick September 15, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

Ahhh, John. The yellow dory. First sighted by Christopher Jones, Ship’s Master, Mayflower. The sighting through thick fog reportedly warned Jones that he approached land and he was able to avoid disaster on the rocks near what is now Plymouth, MA.

The yellow dory has become a mythical sighting with it’s own cult following that gathers every spring and predicts the Buzzard’s Bay dead low tide and the start of the quahaug season. Usually sighted briefly and faintly through thick fog, this might be the first recorded photograph. Congrats!

9. Felice September 15, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

Jealous

10. Steve L September 15, 2014 at 4:27 pm #

A-dory-ble!
    So simple…yet arresting.

11. Stephan Dietrich September 16, 2014 at 11:13 am #

Quite the story and capture of the Yellow Dory!