After the sunset at the yellow Dory

After shooting the yellow Dory in the glow of the soft gold light the sun quickly set behind a bank of clouds at the horizon. Steve, a friend I was shooting with, suggested we move to a location he found that had a bit more water creating a nice reflection. By choosing to shoot with a wide angle lens, I was able to capture the drama of the sky. I added the Dory and surrounding rocks in silhouette as an added element to my composition.

_DSF0169-Edit

This entry was posted in Cape Cod and tagged , , , , .

1. Gary Kohn September 17, 2014 at 8:16 am #

Lovely image…out of curiosity, do you own and use Singh Ray NDs and would this shot have been a good candidate for using one?

• JB September 17, 2014 at 10:06 am #

Indeed I do have Singh-Ray split grads as well as a polarizer and mor-slow filters. For this particular image the light was such that I did not need a grad. If I were taking this image about 1/2 hour earlier, yes a grad would have been helpful to “hold back the sky”.

2. al campoli September 17, 2014 at 8:43 am #

John,

What a beautiful shot!! The clouds add an element of drama to the overall view. WOW!!

Al

• JB September 17, 2014 at 10:07 am #

Thanks Al.

3. Luna Lovegood September 17, 2014 at 9:09 am #

super

4. Ray September 17, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Great composition John. Love how the lines in the clouds (and reflection) are at the same angle as the water edges and seem to create a flow away from the viewer drawing the eyes in. Great colors. Perfection!

• JB September 17, 2014 at 10:07 am #

Great observation Ray. Thanks.

5. Steve Zigler September 17, 2014 at 10:22 am #

John,

I love this image. Great work as always. When faced with a situation like this, I often struggle with where to locate the horizon line: middle, above, or below. I like your decision on this image, but I’m curious if you explored others and what might be your thinking on this in general?

• JB September 17, 2014 at 11:31 am #

Thanks Steve. Yes, I did explore other options as I most always do. Top weighted bottom weighted and in this case with the horizon at the middle. I’m not offended with a frame being cut in half when reflections are in play. Ultimately I will end up with the one that “feels” right and in this case its this one. That said, I’m sure others would pick one of the other two. All right answers.

6. Stephan Dietrich September 17, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

“A dory of a day! Day is done! Dramatic image indeed!” Great to have a friend like Steve along to suggest another vantage point. How was the ultimate sunset? May the dramatic clouds continue to follow you in all of your travels!

7. Daniel Ruf September 18, 2014 at 10:55 am #

Love the clouds, but still need the color of that yellow dory…IMHO.

• JB September 19, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

I respectfully disagree Dan. A bright yellow Dory would distract my eye. This image is a totally different image. The boat becomes a silhouette with the light behind it. And the subject in this case is NOT the Dory but rather the sky.

8. Dennis September 18, 2014 at 11:12 am #

John, The mood and feeling of this image is amazing. And, you are the master of the skies.

• JB September 19, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Thank you Dennis!

9. bob towery September 21, 2014 at 9:02 am #

What a glorious moment! So glad you were there to capture it.