Leaning Towards You

_DSF5180In keeping with the previous post, this image was made in the same location with yet another leaning tree. So, once again, what are your thoughts on this composition? How do you feel about the direction of the leaning tree as compared to the one in the previous post? (image show below)

_DSF5162-Edit

This entry was posted in Color, Colorado, Fall Color and tagged , , , , .

1. Tom Singleton October 19, 2014 at 8:04 am #

John, I like the one leaning in toward the image better. Great image.

• JB October 19, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

Thanks for your feedback Tom.

2. Jeanne Lesperance October 19, 2014 at 8:34 am #

2nd image is more pleasing and less distracting- eye continues to focal point of nice picture!

• JB October 19, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

Thanks Jeanne.

3. Gary Kohn October 19, 2014 at 8:38 am #

I prefer the more recent photo with the tree leaning in…it brings you toward the center of the photo, whereas the first takes you toward the edges…but both are beautiful.

• JB October 19, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

Very much appreciate your feedback Gary.

4. Eric Drumm October 19, 2014 at 9:02 am #

I agree with Gary that the image with the tree leaning in, directs you into the image rather than outside it. However I do like the image with the two yellow trees with the leaning out tree, as I think it adds interest to the overall image. What do you think about trying to lighten the dark leaning out tree to reduce its visual impact? Just a thought. Nice images, John, In either case.

• JB October 19, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

A good thought Eric. Thanks for taking time to share it.

5. Nancy Fezell October 19, 2014 at 9:34 am #

Hi John-
    I enjoy getting your posts and always learn something. This was an interesting one. I liked both images. The tree leaning in does not detract and draws one into the picture. I found the leaning out tree is a distraction as it is much darker than the other trees. My eye went right to it.

• JB October 19, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

Interesting you say leaning out…. I’ll speak more about that in a future post.

6. Frank October 19, 2014 at 9:38 am #

Comparing the two photos, this one is definitely about the leaning tree. I believe that’s the focus. This is a great example of a comp based on a pattern and a break in pattern, with all the verticals except for one. There’s great depth, too, with the b/w bare trees in the fg and the color in the bg. A lot here for the eye to like. While both photos are nice, I prefer this one for the reasons I’ve listed.

• JB October 19, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

Well thought out critique and comment Frank. Thank you.

7. Rad Drew October 19, 2014 at 9:58 am #

What a great discussion! I’m seeing this for the first time when both images are side by side. I’ve looked at them both a lot and gone back and forth. They both have distinctively different rythyms that lead my eye in different ways.

The one leaning in takes me in a clean, horizontal but staccato ride from left to right. It’s about the horizontal line of color contrasted with the staccato rythym of the vertical lines of the trees. I can almost hear it as a cymbal crash, followed by a drum beat with a thread of yellow “melody” holding it all together. For me it flows in one direction – left to right- and exits at the right.

The leaning out image for me has a circular, repeating motion to it. I find my eye following the leaning tree into the frame at the bottom, across to the yellow trees on the right, and then up and to the left to do it all over again. The vertical lines are less figural and play a supporting role to the lead characters of the leaning tree and the two yellow trees on the right.

The more I study these images, the more I appreciate each for it’s unique qualities. I don’t think one is “better” than the other.

The exercise of looking closely and thinking about these questions and really attending to how my eye moves differently through each image has been really valuable for me.Thanks for encouraging this discussion, John!

• JB October 19, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

You’re welcome Rad. And thank you for the cymbal/drum analogy. I’m gonna steal that one! 🙂 In fact, thanks for the well thought out comment. I’ve learned from your observation.

8. Scott O October 19, 2014 at 10:49 am #

They are both terrific images John. But my first reaction to the one with the inward facing tree was that of a compression of the space. I find the other one to be much more open and “airey”, which I like more. The original has a panorama feel, a much more spacious feel. I want to know what the forest looks like to the left of the leaning tree. Make any sense?

• JB October 19, 2014 at 9:20 pm #

Makes a lot of sense Scott. I love how the comments vary a bit…. makes things interesting no?

9. Rich Lewis October 19, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

I do like them both but have to go with the top image as my favorite. The trees are more unified and I like how the diagonal one is leaning into the image adding a nice diversion from all the verticals. The leaning tree in the lower image appears to be more random. Not that randomness is a bad thing but the thing that hold me in that image is the little yellow tree on the right.

• JB October 19, 2014 at 9:20 pm #

Thanks for your always insightful comment Rich.

10. al campoli October 20, 2014 at 2:42 pm #

Like them both. SO I guess you can say I’m leaning one way or the other…..;>)

• JB October 20, 2014 at 3:06 pm #

So Al, you lean both ways huh? 🙂

11. Steve L October 25, 2014 at 12:07 pm #

I vote for leaning in. But that could change!!

• JB October 25, 2014 at 8:26 pm #