Cuba

I’ve just returned from my fourth trip to Cuba. It was an interesting time to be there with the recent announcement regarding our relationship with Cuba. The general consensus among the Cuban people I spoke with was one of hope, optimism and happiness.

The image below, was made in old town Havana well before sunrise just outside of our hotel. I feel it captures the essence of Havana. It really is like entering a time warp…

_DSF0504-Edit

This entry was posted in Cuba and tagged , .

1. robin January 14, 2015 at 8:22 am #

Good to have you home. Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures from Cuba.

2. bob towery January 14, 2015 at 10:16 am #

While I’m definitely hesitant about the impact a mass influx of tourists would have there… Nice to hear the people are hopeful. They can use some hopefulness.

3. bob towery January 14, 2015 at 10:16 am #

Nice shot btw! The bright light is a bit distracting, but it does pull my eye to the flag which is a good thing.

4. Louise January 14, 2015 at 10:43 am #

I’m so glad you are back home safely. I kept living the trip in my imagination all week! Can’t wait to live it vicariously through your photos. This picture took me RIGHT back to the first morning in Havana just a year ago.

• JB January 14, 2015 at 7:59 pm #

We had a great time Louise. I was able to spread around many of our pictures. Stories to come..

5. Stephan Dietrich January 14, 2015 at 7:07 pm #

“Lighting the way!” … And, thoughts on “leaving the lights on…”

With mention of time warp and stepping back in time… to compare and contrast… Yet this is their present! It will be interesting to see how things evolve and change. Positive thoughts and prayers!

A very calming image while the town is sleeping… leaving the viewer the ability to imagine the “Beat of Havana,” hustle of the day, those that live there, the sounds, music, culture, everything else … and what the future will bring…

The captured illumination onto the flag is powerful and sheds light for a positive future. The glow and repetive lights lighting the way down the street guides you along a Havana journey! The classic Chevy parked on the street awaiting another day to continue to drive on … and on … is awesome! The colors and details are like a painting!

Welcome back JB! Look forward to more images and stories of your adventures!

• JB January 14, 2015 at 7:58 pm #

You see the strong light in the very same way I do Stephan. In fact I was going to write about it as a light of hope and forgot. Too tired! Normally I’m not a fan of the bright light as Bob pointed out, however, in this image I really liked it a lot.

6. Frank Chiles January 15, 2015 at 2:58 am #

Thanks for sharing your work. Did you have any trouble getting in or out?

• JB January 15, 2015 at 6:42 am #

Hello Frank. No trouble as long as you follow the proper protocol. We have a proper people to people license and thus can travel legally. I assume this will change as we move forward with the new relationship being forged with Cuba.

7. Steve L January 15, 2015 at 10:33 am #

This all just makes me look forward to going there one day!
    Looks like a movie set.
    Gorgeous image, John.

• JB January 15, 2015 at 4:54 pm #

You’ll love it there Steve.

8. Mark Stevens January 15, 2015 at 4:32 pm #

Thank you John for the best Cuba tour yet !

BTW, I now own the best version of “Guantanamera” that I have ever heard. I love it !

• JB January 15, 2015 at 4:53 pm #

No THANK YOU Mark. You are my inspiration for getting better at “street” photography. Your work from Cuba has been amazing! Thanks for coming along again. Never heard of the song Guantanamera…. 🙂