Fire in the Sky

_DSF0393-Edit-EditThis is the scene that greeted us as we arrived for a morning shoot in Death Valley. This was one of the first images I made after running down the hill to where the water rivulets were. This was made well before the sun rose over the ridge behind us. It was nearly dark as we stumbled down the hill. I’ve chosen to keep the foreground dark as this is what I remember seeing. The intense color is what caught my eye and what I wanted to portray here.

This entry was posted in Death Valley and tagged .

1. Bruce Sorrell March 23, 2015 at 8:36 am #

Beautiful piece of work, John ! Love those warm tones mingling with the cool shadow colors !

• JB March 24, 2015 at 7:42 am #

I too like the mixture of cool and warm. Thanks Bruce.

2. Howard Grill March 23, 2015 at 1:31 pm #

Beautiful photo; great reflections of the sky. Only problem is that now I can’t get Smoke On The Water to stop playing in my head since reading your title! A most appropriate title though.

• JB March 24, 2015 at 7:42 am #

Sorry about that Howard! 🙂 Smoke on the water….

3. syrphan March 24, 2015 at 2:51 am #

Awesome image and moment! I’ve seen images from the flood water Death Valley received in 2005 and personally experienced the rain in 2006 requiring winch and 4×4…

It is awesome to see Death Valley is very much alive, receiving water and seeing the various perspectives from posts!

You captured a magical golden moment indeed!

• JB March 24, 2015 at 7:43 am #

Thanks Stephan, I’ll bet that was an amazing thing to witness!

4. Victoria March 31, 2015 at 10:49 pm #

Just saw this post today after getting back from the Outback tour. I’d have been stumbling down the hill in the dark too. Totally awesome.

5. Victoria April 16, 2015 at 4:37 am #