Lake Matheson

_DSF0280-Edit-2

This is a classic view of Lake Matheson. It is about a two mile hike but worth it. The path is lush with the ubiquitous fern found at every turn. A storm was brewing as I made my walk to the lake. When I arrived, I could hear the thunder closing in. I waited anxiously for a little blast of sun to light the trees. It came but lasted for about 30 seconds. This was the best I could do as I really wanted to get back before I got drenched! I just barely made it! Others were not so lucky.

I’m posting a B&W version below. Was not quite sure about it. Curious what you think? It is a tighter composition.

_DSF0270

This entry was posted in New Zealand and tagged , , .

1. Nicki May 21, 2015 at 9:24 am #

Lovely image, so tranquil. I personally like the color image better. Although I love b&w images, I like the separation between the trees and the mountains better in the color version. Wonderful image, thanks for sharing.

• JB May 21, 2015 at 10:34 am #

And thank you for your feedback Nicki. You can always tell my gut feeling by which image I feature… I too was drawn to the color version.

2. Victoria May 21, 2015 at 9:27 am #

I love the color version. The B&w doesn’t work nearly as well to catch my eye. I can’t quite put my finger on it but there is something about the composition and the overall dark tone from the mountains and their reflection. The color version, on the other hand, just sings with light and reflections and the lines of the composition take me to the edge (metaphorically and literally) and bring me right back again!

• JB May 21, 2015 at 10:34 am #

Sings is good! Thanks Victoria.

3. Jeanne May 21, 2015 at 9:39 am #

Absolutely color- striking!

• JB May 21, 2015 at 10:34 am #

Thank you Jeanne.

4. Steve L May 21, 2015 at 9:43 am #

I normally go for the B&W’s. But the vibrance in the radiant color version wins me over this time. Of course, they’re both very nice. Again…the sky is fantastic in both.

• JB May 21, 2015 at 10:35 am #

I think in this case the color really does win. Thanks for your feedback Steve.

5. Jazz Jaeschke May 21, 2015 at 9:49 am #

Color image much, much stronger in pulling me into the scene. It lures me to the bit of blue in upper left of lake. Doesn’t happen with the B&W.

• JB May 21, 2015 at 10:35 am #

I agree Jazz. Thanks for chiming in!

6. Howard Grill May 21, 2015 at 10:00 am #

Beautiful!!!! I echo the other sentiments. The color one draws me in with the nice contrast of blue and green which then contrast with the more monochrome sky. While I really like black and white, the trees in the black and white composition don’t separate very dramatically from the mountains to my eye and so I’m not getting drawn into the three dimensionality of the image nearly as much.

• JB May 21, 2015 at 10:36 am #

Good feedback as usual Howard. Appreciate it.

7. Bill Edwards May 21, 2015 at 11:12 am #

To me the B&W has a flatter look. The color shot has more depth because of the separation of colors. Also, the reflection in the color shot brings a more graphic element into play and the viewer’s eye is led from right to left to the “V” in the distant mountains. Very dramatic shot.

• JB May 21, 2015 at 11:39 am #

Hey Bill! Good observations.

8. Gary Kohn May 21, 2015 at 11:40 am #

John…these are both lovely images taken in one of my favorite places! As for the b&w image, the tight composition doesn’t seem to convey the grand majesty of the color image, and the clouds seem to overwhelm the mountain sides.

• JB May 21, 2015 at 11:55 am #

Hey Gary! Thanks for stopping by.

9. James Milligan May 21, 2015 at 1:58 pm #

John, the color image does have more visual appeal. I find that images with a predominant amount of green don’t convert well. Basically, there is too much midetone thus not enough tonal range in the image.

• JB May 21, 2015 at 3:18 pm #

Well put Mr. Milligan.

10. John May 21, 2015 at 2:40 pm #

John, even though the sky is mostly monochromatic, the color image seems more inviting and really draws me in. BTW, you have a REALLY good eye!

• JB May 21, 2015 at 3:18 pm #

Agree John.

11. Stephan Dietrich May 22, 2015 at 6:38 pm #

Another intense moment! The rewards of staying and committing to capture the intensity of a storm developing. There seems to always be magical moments before-during-and-after a storm.

In my personal opinion, if you do a color vs b&w comparison of an image you should use the same image to compare and contrast for that given image. If you convert the color image above, it makes an intense b&w as well.

With two different images posted, your color image has an added intense b&w image quality bonus and intensity within an already magically illuminated color image! A win-win situation within one image!

Both images are dramatic and awesome! Great post JB!