Perspective

untitled-0449-Editmatted
Last year my friend and tremendous Cape Cod photographer, Betty Wiley, told me about Grey’s Beach on the Cape. This year I decided to take a look, glad I did.

I am often reminding students, and myself, that it’s important to look at other perspectives. In this case getting low creates a very different image than standing up (see image below). To my eye, the image made while standing up is static when compared to the more dynamic version where I put the camera on the boardwalk.

Lessons:

1. Perspective matters. Get high, get low. Try them both and everything in between. I know, I know, it is not as easy to get up after getting down! This is a good reason to have a swivel LCD screen.
  2. This image was made at 2PM. Stop thinking there is a best time to make photographs. There is just light, it is up to you to figure out what to do with it. I think, so called “harsh light” worked pretty well here don’t you?
  3. Be patient. My first capture was made with a bald blue sky. As I stayed to explore, I noticed clouds building. When one wandered into the perfect spot, I was there to make the capture.

untitled-0446matted

This entry was posted in B&W, Cape Cod and tagged , , , .

1. Bruce Sorrell September 24, 2015 at 8:43 am #

Good Morning, John ! That’s a wonderful lesson, one which your low POV example really drives home ! Moreover, that same image is simply stunning given how you’ve managed the tonal scale. That sort of control of all the Zones reminds me of Ansel Adams’ work.

Slainte !

• JB September 24, 2015 at 8:59 am #

Thank you Bruce. Quite a compliment. I have been working on my B&W processing with the help of Cole and Chuck. I have a long way to go but I do feel I am making some progress.

2. Brian September 24, 2015 at 11:19 am #

Hi John –

You are 100% correct about the light. It works very well and great images can be made at all times of the day – not just the hour at the beginning and end. I really like them both.

And, the most important gear in a camera bag for low perspective shots would be knee pads! (Only half joking!)

Brian

• JB September 24, 2015 at 11:20 am #

Thanks Brian. As I did not have knee pads, THE ONLY reason I attempted this shot was because there were hand rails I could use to get back up!

3. Rich Lewis September 24, 2015 at 2:36 pm #

Great lessons as always. I’m a latecomer to mid day photography and am learning to love it. When I was a Scout leader we would teach the Boy Scouts that weather determines what we wear not what we do. I guess in photography that could be paraphrased as: “Light determines how we photograph, not if we photograph.”

I love the photographs, particularly the top one. You always manage to find such cooperative clouds.

• JB September 24, 2015 at 2:59 pm #

Always good to hear from you Rich. Yes! Go make photographs all day!

4. Steve L September 24, 2015 at 8:51 pm #

The perspective in the first image is as strong as it gets. Really grabs your eye. And the dramatic sky to go with it… Good recipe.

• JB September 24, 2015 at 8:59 pm #