Canary Spring – Yellowstone

Every once in awhile you run into a scene that simply takes your breath away. Such was the case at Canary Spring in Mammoth Hot Springs. What a unique nature story, full of color, mood, and well, yumminess. As much as I love this photograph, what will stay with me is the feeling and the experience I had while making it.

Photography has blessed me in many ways. I have had the opportunity to travel to locations I could never have imagined. I have made life long friends. I have had the privilege of working with extraordinary photographers like my tour partner Dan Sniffin, Betty Wiley and the team at the Hui in Hawaii, Jonathan Kingston, Dewitt Jones, and Rikki Cooke. I am grateful for my blessings, and what to say thank you to all who have been there along the way.

This entry was posted in Yellowstone and tagged , .

1. Roni Chastain October 19, 2015 at 8:21 am #

John,
    It is always a great learning experience in your presence. You are an great, good looking, excellent instructor & teacher. You teach in a way that people get it, and you make it fun.
    Thanks for a great weekend at PEEC.
    Roni
    ps…you can send the check for my review to my home! 🙂 only kidding!!!!!

• JB October 19, 2015 at 8:27 am #

Its funny, WordPress asked me to approve this comment. I had to think, do I want to approve such an embarrassing comment? Thank you Roni. I’m blushing. I did laugh at the check part! 🙂

2. Debbie Teague October 19, 2015 at 8:23 am #

Great shot John. I may regret not going to Yellowstone.

• JB October 19, 2015 at 8:29 am #

Thank you Debbie.

3. Howard Grill October 19, 2015 at 8:29 am #

Wow……breathtaking!! What else can one say!!

4. Carla October 19, 2015 at 8:44 am #

I have to agree with all of Roni’s comments!
    Since I started going on your workshops and tours, I have become very aware of being in the moment, enjoying the beauty and peace of a special place, experience or moment.
    We are so blessed to enjoy God’s creation
    with all our senses and our cameras!
    Thank YOU John!

5. Steve L October 19, 2015 at 10:46 am #

I agree! One of the great benefits of photography is that it helps open one’s eyes. And justifies the motivation for more travel!
    Throw in the part about meeting and working with other photographers….
    Sounds like a great recipe.
    Great scene, John!!

6. Bruce Sorrell October 19, 2015 at 11:13 am #

A truly incredible scene, John, and quite beautifully captured. Comp, colors, light, textures, contrast all in perfect synch ! BZ ! I hope I’m not overreacting to your comments on this image, but I couldn’t help but hear something like a swan song in your writing. Please tell me I’m wrong on that ! While I normally prefer to be right, this time I’m really hoping for wrong. Slainte !

• JB October 19, 2015 at 12:38 pm #

Just re-read what I wrote while VERY tired and I can see where you might infer the swan song… BUT, fear not, I am just getting started!!

• Bruce Sorrell October 19, 2015 at 12:46 pm #

Hey, John ! Am I glad to hear that , or what ! ? ! First time being wrong felt so good. Slainte !

7. Peggy W October 19, 2015 at 11:41 am #

After seeing your second posted image from Yellowstone I went to your tours, having decided that I must sign up. I found that I could not click on any of the tours for 2016. Are they not open for reservations now or perhaps they are filled?? Ugh. : (

• JB October 19, 2015 at 12:34 pm #

Peggy, I’ve never had a link to click… sending an email is best. That said, because I’ve invited folks to let me know if they were interested in Yellowstone, we have 16 on a list for 14 spots. I’ll add you to the list should someone decide they don’t want to come. I’ve not posted it because I needed to scout and find a hotel etc… Will be officially posting in a month or so.

8. Barbara K October 19, 2015 at 12:24 pm #

Beautiful! I agree about the blessing of going to beautiful places, and meeting fun folks along the way!

9. Brian Reitenauer October 19, 2015 at 11:20 pm #

INCREDIBLE image John. The shadowed background and sulfur smoke almost look like blue sky and clouds. The color palette is so pleasing. The shape of the composition is just right. One of my favorites for sure!

• JB October 19, 2015 at 11:28 pm #

Thank you Brian.

10. Felice October 20, 2015 at 2:57 am #

I’ve seen many images of this scene and tried myself, but your capture is sublime!

• JB October 20, 2015 at 7:18 am #

Thank you Felice. It was mesmerizing.

11. Jeanne October 20, 2015 at 4:47 am #

Very eye catching shot – nice tribute also!

• JB October 20, 2015 at 7:18 am #

Thank you Jeanne.

12. Jim Dunaway October 22, 2015 at 10:57 pm #

A home run!

• JB October 23, 2015 at 1:32 am #

Thanks Jim. Fortunate to be there at the right time.