Cape May Point

On Monday, I gave a lecture and then did an image processing seminar for The Photography Club of Cape May. What a wonderful group.Thank you for the warm welcome.  After the presentations, ten of us went to dinner together. While we ate, a huge storm moved in dumping buckets of rain. As we exited the restaurant it was raining lightly, but, when we looked to the west, we saw the sky brightening. My head said, I have a two plus hour drive home, I should head home, but, my heart said, I must go, it looks so promising! I followed my heart. Three of us raced to Cape May Point to see what we might catch. Off to the south east, the the sky was pitch black, filled with visible strikes of lightning. However, off to the west there was an opening at the horizon. As the sun sank below it, the sky lit up casting an orange glow on the faces of those partaking of this magical moment. After I caught my breath, I managed to pull out a Sing-Ray 5 stop filter and get this long exposure image as a memory of the special experience. It is after all about the experience right? The images are just icing on the cake. Please click on the image to make it bigger to see the details. If you like long exposure images, I highly recommend the Singh-Ray Mor Slo series of neutral density filters. Use the code Barclay10 for a 10% discount when you order.

_DSF0034-Editmatted

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , .

1. Patrice Zinck July 20, 2016 at 8:16 am #

Awesome shot John! I’m heading there today, hope I’m just as lucky! LOL

• JB July 20, 2016 at 9:59 am #

I’m sure you’ll get your own unique GREAT images Patrice.

2. Carla July 20, 2016 at 8:38 am #

WOW!!! It doesn’t get better than that – great participants, inspiring lecture and class and top it off with a killer image!!!

• JB July 20, 2016 at 9:59 am #

Thank you dear Carla!

3. Steve Zigler July 20, 2016 at 9:10 am #

That’s a great story, a great image, and a great lesson: always follow your heart! Thanks for sharing!

• JB July 20, 2016 at 9:58 am #

Hey Steve! Thanks for following along. You’re welcome.

4. Tom D'Emic July 20, 2016 at 10:29 am #

Really like this image. I am actually jealous. Love the simplicity. Love the jetty and the life guard chair. Please forgive me if I am out of line, but I am not sure if the little triangular rock at the bottom of the shoreline works. This rock does provide a third element to the composition. It also provides an element in the foreground. I still feel it takes away from the simplicity of the composition and stops the visual flow of the shore line.
    I would like some advice. I am using a 10 stop morslo. sometimes I stack a 4 stop nd solid ( not a mor-slo). Is it worth buying a 5 stop mor slo?
    Thanks again for all that you have taught me in the past.
    Tom

• JB July 20, 2016 at 3:39 pm #

Very good constructive feedback Tom. No need to ever ask permission. I love dialogue and feedback. It is how we all grow together. As for the 5 Stop Mor Slo? No, I would think the combo of 10 and 4 would be enough. Singh-Ray does have a 15 stop now… if you don’t want to stack that could be an option.

5. Peggie July 20, 2016 at 8:30 pm #

Simply gorgeous!

• JB July 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm #

Thank you Peggy. 🙂

6. Brian July 21, 2016 at 3:05 am #

John – This is actually one of the best photographs I have ever seen!! It is simple, serene, engaging. The color is fantastic. It makes you catch your breath when you look at it. I know the next print I will buy!

• JB July 21, 2016 at 8:37 am #

You are very kind Brian. Am enjoying your Olympic Peninsula trip.

7. Steve L July 23, 2016 at 2:39 pm #

Good decision!
    But, an easy one for you. You knew there was the possibility of a great result.
    And you knew that without going, there’d be NO result! haha Gotta keep the “quest” alive.