One more from Cape May

_DSF0097-Editmatte

Today’s image was from the night before the last two posts. A few of us went to “sunset cove” to see what we might find. A club member was kind enough to put me up at her home which was about 3 blocks from the cove. I went with no expectations, especially after a long day and drive down to Cape May. I was going, hoping to be taken by something. As we approached the cove, this scene called to me. What caught my attention was the way the mist was creating separation and layers. Then I saw the silhouetted umbrella and people. I set up and waited until the people got into positions that would make for a nice composition.

I am shooting directly into the sun and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of flare on my new Fuji 100-400 lens. What a great lens for this type of scene. I really am enjoying this much reach. I’ve never had this much focal length with any system I’ve owned.

I am adding a second version below and am curious which you like better and why. Again, by clicking on the images, you will be able to view them MUCH bigger.

We just had a cancellation for our previously sold out Smoky Mountain Fall Foliage workshop in October.  Email if you’re interested.

_DSF0091-Editmatted

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , .

1. Gary Kohn July 25, 2016 at 8:24 am #

John…a beautiful shot. I prefer the second version…I like the solitary figure better than the pair. Also, I like the separation/open position of the legs of the solitary position better than the more static one in version one.

2. Tom Singleton July 25, 2016 at 8:30 am #

Love these images John. Prefer the first one. Seems more natural to me.

3. Jeff July 25, 2016 at 8:31 am #

Love the second image! Strong composition!

4. Bryan July 25, 2016 at 9:18 am #

I prefer composition number 1. It’s full of life and tells the story of people leisurely enjoying the beauty of a wonderful summer evening. Although composition number 2 has the same rich glow, the chair under the umbrella is empty and the walker is walking out of the frame, to busy or hurried to see and enjoy in the beauty of the evening.

5. Rich Lewis July 25, 2016 at 11:52 am #

Love the layers of this, not a typical technique for the flat Jersey shoreline.

6. Janice July 25, 2016 at 12:34 pm #

I like the first one better. It seems more balanced to me, both in its composition and in its sense that people SHOULD be at this spot, enjoying this sunset. But I like the second one almost as much. It has a more exotic feel to it.

7. Cynthia Brown July 25, 2016 at 1:48 pm #

John, the 1st image is my favorite. A man figure is actually fishing with hands on the tackle. I also prefer the image with the figure under and therefore using the umbrella. The 2nd image has the woman uninvolved with the “props” and seems to be tiptoeing out of the scene. Number 1 image holds my attention and imagination. Great layers and color – very fine work!

8. Barbara K July 25, 2016 at 2:35 pm #

Lovely scene. Good eye for those layers! I like the first one. Seems more balanced to me and has a more ‘leisurely’ feel. 🙂

9. al campoli July 25, 2016 at 3:33 pm #

I like the second shot. The person walking towards the ocean gives a feel of motion to the shot.
    The first shot seems a little static to me..

10. LINDA RUSSO July 25, 2016 at 5:24 pm #

JB, Both images are beautiful in of themselves. Compositionally, I prefer the 1st image. You have strong leading lines from the man under the umbrella leading up to man on right then man on left. They form a triangle. Dynamic composition. The 2nd image compositionally, not as strong as the first.

11. Melinda Dreyer July 28, 2016 at 10:27 pm #

I like the first one with the 2 individuals standing and the one at the umbrella. Just more interesting to me. Love your articles.