Iceland B&W #2

This has become one of my favorite images from Iceland.  The shape of the cloud was perfect, all we had to do was wait for the sun to paint the land a bit. If you look closely, you will see people walking down the slope on the right side of the image near the edge of the frame giving a bit of perspective.  Sometimes you just know an image is going to convert to B&W really well.  Such was the case with this one!

Iceland_20130711_0443-Editmatted

This entry was posted in Iceland and tagged , , .

1. betty August 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

KILLER…absolutely killer…belongs in a gallery for everyone to see.

2. jacky August 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

you were absolutely right to convert it to b&w, stunning

3. Bruce Sorrell August 19, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

That is one POWERFUL image, John! It’s a real gut punch…but in a good way. And on which planet did you say this was taken? Only one criticism: none of the people on the slope are smiling. 🙂

Slainte!

• john8276 August 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

Your comment made me laugh out loud! Thanks Bruce. ICELAND!!! What is funny, is the guide took a few up the big hill to get another specific shot. I’m happy I didn’t make the hike!

4. Harry August 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

Loverly JB – nice

5. Victoria Porter August 19, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

I started on that hike and stopped when I noticed John H slip-sliding his way back down. I decided there was ample opportunity for beautiful compositions without doing the hike and am glad I did. This is an absolutely amazing image! Makes me want to go back and try a different POV for this spot.

6. John Heise August 19, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

Beautiful image, looks like the volcano is erupting. Sorry I keep getting in your pictures.

• john8276 August 19, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

Thanks John and you are fine, you give my pictures scale! 🙂

7. Bruce Sorrell August 19, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

A second though for you, John, since this photograph deserved a second look…and more. If you recall the days when darkrooms roamed the earth, there was a paper produced by Agfa called Brovira. It struck me while revisiting you shot that this onet looks more like a Brovira print than anything I’ve ever seen anywhere in the digital sphere. No exaggeration! Maybe you could encourage our friends at Topaz to develop a product with presets that duplicate the characteristic curves, tonality, etc. of all the great B&W papers. We have tools to duplicate film. So where’s the paper? If Topaz could do that, they should name the preset for Brovira, the “JB” preset 🙂 One again, a truly stellar image! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Slainte!

• john8276 August 19, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

I’m on it Bruce. Good thoughts.

8. Joan Herwig August 19, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Really cool!

9. Daniel Ruf August 19, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

A big WOW!

10. Cynthia August 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

You have outdone yourself (and everyone else too!) with this one John. I would love to know how you did the processing. This is absolutely beautiful. Talk about jaw dropping, WOW!

• john8276 August 19, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

Thanks Cynthia. This was converted in Photoshop with the B&W adjustment. I then used some loose lasso’s around some areas that I wanted to darken or lighten with curves. To soften the transition of the adjustment, I used gaussian blur to taste on each layer. Maybe I should do a quick video tutorial on this technique??

• Cynthia August 19, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

Yes, please do a video tutorial. I have been trying to do a B&W conversion on that rhino picture for my friend and while everything I do looks good (just because the image is killer), but I have not achieved my vision for it, which is more like what you have done here. I need more ideas. Thanks!

11. Linda Russo August 19, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

Awesome image:)

12. Don August 19, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Once again… Very nice JB!!

13. Frank August 19, 2013 at 11:01 pm #

Very nice!

14. Stephan August 20, 2013 at 5:08 am #

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! What would Iceland be without Puffin JB clouds! Mr. JB cloudman!

As Bruce brings up about Agfa’s Brovira, the same still applies in the digital darkroom when you ultimately print. In short, “Seeing on the monitor is one thing, printing and seeing in print is another!” Paper and choice of custom printer-and-inks still make a difference. Fortunately, inks, papers and archivablity remains!

Print this one as LARGE and BIG as you can JB!

15. Merrill Thomas August 22, 2013 at 2:09 am #

Killer image, John.

16. Lea Gallardo August 22, 2013 at 10:33 am #

Exquisite!

17. David August 23, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

This image actually made me gasp. Well done! And I second that video tutorial idea. 🙂

• john8276 August 23, 2013 at 2:54 pm #