Death Valley with Cole Thompson

Eastern Sierra_2014Feb01_0146v2

Today we started our tour with special guest Cole Thompson.  It has been a joy to spend time with Cole whose work I have admired for quite some time.  Cole gave a presentation today that was tremendous and very inspiring!

Our tour is focused on B&W photography, so I thought I’d post an image created during our scouting trip last week. This one pays homage to another favorite B&W photographer, Chuck Kimmerle.

This entry was posted in Abstract, B&W, Chuck Kimmerle, Cole Thompson, Death Valley and tagged , , , , , , , , , .

1. robyn February 4, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

Good morning John! I love the contrast of the image. Really fabulous texture, composition, and lighting.

And….I have to tell you a funny story…I was on a website for photo sharing over the weekend and saw images of Fonthill. I knew immediately that the person who took the photographs had to have participated in one of your classes. I sent him a note, and sure enough, he had come to Doylestown from Maryland to take your Fonthill HDR class. He spoke very highly of you and your teaching methods! It’s such a small world! Have a fabulous day! Robyn

• john8276 February 4, 2014 at 6:32 pm #

A small world indeed. As you know, I love Fonthill!

2. Rich Lewis February 5, 2014 at 12:06 am #

I love this image. It shows that there are so many possibilities when you mix sand dunes and some great light.

3. Alice Olive February 5, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

Absolutely stunning. The texture and contrasts are beautiful.

4. Stephan Dietrich February 6, 2014 at 12:13 am #

Wow! No footsteps!! Pure harmonious artistic display between Mother Nature and Light. Amazing how the wind and weather create the patterns! Awesome find and eye!

A truly fabulous image and strong b&w JB! Love the patterns, details, flow and design. From pure white to dense black … you have just about every shade and zone in between! WOWmazing!

5. Chuck Kimmerle February 8, 2014 at 12:39 am #

I’m sure Cole will learn a lot from you two.

• john8276 February 8, 2014 at 4:31 am #

That made me laugh out loud. Dan too. Cole was terrific. Funny but not near as funny as you Chuck. :)