Aspen and Evergreen

_DSF5140

Fell in love with this stand of aspen. Thinking about my last post and the idea of breaking a pattern, here we have another good example. It would have looked nice as a lush stand of aspen, however, with the evergreen added to the composition, I believe it makes for a stronger one. I’ve added a multiple exposure version below.

_DSC0137

[Tweet “Aspen Multiple Exposure”]

This entry was posted in Abstract, Colorado and tagged , , , , .

1. Rich Lewis October 24, 2014 at 8:10 am #

That the lone pine makes this image more interesting. The world has enough photographs of Aspens with bright yellow leaves so having an unique element to provide an artistic anchor makes this one move to the top of the pile. It shows in your multiple exposure version but, personally, I’m not the biggest fan of this kind of work. I guess Monet spoiled me.

• JB October 24, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

Thanks for your feedback Rich. I was not a fan for a long time either. Now I love them!

2. Ray October 24, 2014 at 9:54 am #

John, How do you decide to do a multi-exposure instead of a swipe. I enjoy both looks and the one in this blog is just terrific. The dark pine really adds interest to it.

• JB October 24, 2014 at 5:21 pm #

Oft times I’ll shoot both and both will work. So, not to be flippant, but its a feel thing. Do both and then decide which you prefer. Over time you’ll learn when one technique works better than the other.

3. Peggy W October 24, 2014 at 11:03 am #

I think these two images let the viewer know why a multiple can be so powerful. With details like the black spots on the birch trunks and the individual leaves and branches now obscured, we focus on what is left; namely the pattern of gold, the white trunks, the green pine. My eyes rather than scanning through detail as with the 1st image now go quickly to the green tree. It is alone in its kind and isolated, partially hidden by the gold but still standing out and above. It makes an emotional connection. The strongest images are those which are not just beautiful and well composed but which resonate. I think this is one of your great images.

• JB October 24, 2014 at 5:20 pm #

Thank you Peggy. I meant to write that I too thought the multiple eliminated distractions and left the viewer seeing the essence. Good feedback!

4. Steve L October 25, 2014 at 12:09 pm #

The evergreen makes it…for sure. You’ve got a good eye and a creative mind.

• JB October 25, 2014 at 8:26 pm #

Thanks Steve.

5. jerry cohen October 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

I like the contrast of color with the evergreens — a lot!. Both of these images are terrific – I can’t decide which I like better. Makes me want to be there.

• JB October 25, 2014 at 8:26 pm #