Looking

This year while in Trinidad, I worked on my “people” photography skills.  For this image, I spotted the blue wall, interesting doors and lone bike. I suspected I might have added interest if I just hung out for awhile.  Sure enough, in about five minutes, this young man came out along with a dog. I waited until the gesture of both made sense and tripped the shutter.

_DSF0162-2

This entry was posted in Cuba and tagged , , .

1. Tom Singleton February 17, 2015 at 8:03 am #

Hi John, I really like this, especially the way that the man and the dog are both looking in the same direction. Was he aware that you wer taking his picture?

• JB February 17, 2015 at 8:50 am #

Thanks Tom. No he was not. I mean he saw me there but paid no attention. Probably because I was there for awhile NOT taking pictures.

2. Karl February 17, 2015 at 9:08 am #

Great patience and timing. I wonder what is coming down the street.

• JB February 17, 2015 at 10:07 am #

Exactly Karl!

3. Bob Towery February 17, 2015 at 9:27 am #

All around good street photography technique and result! How about trying a B&W version to see if we can get a little more emotion?

(I’d also play around with cloning out the wire at the top of the frame, it’s drawing my eye…)

Bob.

• JB February 17, 2015 at 10:06 am #

Thanks Bob. Not a fan of this particular image in B&W. Tried it and it did not sing for me.

4. Joe Bumgardner February 17, 2015 at 9:37 am #

John:
    Out of interest, please share your camera body, lens and EXIF data. Thanks! Love the overall soft tones.

• JB February 17, 2015 at 10:06 am #

f/8 – ISO 400 1/180 – Fuji X-T1 Fuji 18-55 at 18.8mm

5. Howard Grill February 17, 2015 at 9:40 am #

I really love this one. The way the person and the dog echo each other is priceless. Also the way the person is in a natural position to look in that direction but the way the dog has to seemingly uncomfortably stretch himself to mimic the person really adds to it!

• JB February 17, 2015 at 10:03 am #

Thanks Howard.

6. Victoria February 17, 2015 at 10:30 am #

I especially like this… Howard already outlined part of what I had noticed above.. and I also noticed this wall appears freshly painted… none of that old look to it which adds interest because of the contrast between the walls and the old doors/entrances.

• JB February 17, 2015 at 10:56 am #

Thanks Victoria. See you soon in New Zealand!!

7. lunalovegood February 17, 2015 at 12:38 pm #

Nreat

8. Peggy W February 17, 2015 at 2:12 pm #

John, A prize winner! This photo has bumped the Fuji X-T1 Fuji 18-55 to the top of to the top of my must have list.

• JB February 17, 2015 at 2:17 pm #

Thanks Peggy. The Fuji was a pleasure to use in Cuba. It will be all I take to New Zealand and Tuscany as well.

9. Mark Stevens February 17, 2015 at 5:18 pm #

Estupendo !!

• JB February 17, 2015 at 5:42 pm #

Thank you Mark.

10. Stephan Dietrich February 18, 2015 at 2:59 am #

Being at the right place at the right time … and having things look, point and direct to the same direction!

From the young man, to the dog, to both doors open, to the bike facing the same focal direction, the bag in the basket leaning in the same direction and all the geometric shapes (including the wire above) providing supportive weight, angle and flow harmonizing the direction … Even the stairs within the door support a complimenting angle… Look and you’ll likely discover more and more…

You’ve got one heck of a masterpiece of an image JB! Congratulations in so many ways!

“Patience is a virtue!”

11. Steve L February 18, 2015 at 9:15 pm #

Amazing how those serendipitous “guest appearances” can help an image!!
    Nice.