Out with the new and in with the old

What?  Out with the new and in with the old? What is he talking about? Is he sick? Is he delusional? Chuck Kimmerle that is not an invitation for comment….. You too Sniffin. Well, yes, I have been battling a lousy cold for a few weeks. You know the kind. The kind that keeps you feeling blah. Not real bad, but, just drags you down. Its been a struggle to create anything, never mind write a blog post.  And then yesterday, I was looking through my archived files for one specific image and ended up having a blast. I stumbled upon a number of images I never thought to process. Images I had completely forgotten about.  Once again, I was reminded why you don’t throw away images. I can take my new processing knowledge and tools and unearth worthy, even great images. And our knowledge of what is good or bad changes as we mature as a photographer. These images are great examples that make my point. Up until recently, I was committed to and convinced that a sky in a black and white image must be dark or close to black. I just did not see the potential of a white sky. And then I processed this image from L.A. and fell in love with a white sky. And then I found the composition from the Disney Gehry building below. Paradigm shift…..  Gotta run now, I’ve got OLD images to process.

This entry was posted in Abstract, B&W, Gehry Building and tagged , , , , .

1. Alice Olive January 14, 2016 at 11:39 am #

I think I may have always loved a white sky. These images are so minimal and clean. Wonderful.

• JB January 14, 2016 at 11:43 am #

Thank you Alice. Your work came to mind as I processed this. Part of my “maturity” as a photographer is seeing others work and learning from it. So, thank you!

2. Howard Grill January 14, 2016 at 11:55 am #

I really love them. As was said, smooth and clean. And I think they look great on the white ‘matboard’. It’s funny how things change when going back and looking at them with a ‘fresh eye’. It’s like going on a new trip….only from home….and without having to wake up early. Great for a cold!

• JB January 14, 2016 at 12:06 pm #

Well said Howard. Yes, like a new trip. I like that.

3. Cindy Williams January 14, 2016 at 12:15 pm #

Outstanding

• JB January 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm #

Thank you Luna Lovegood! 🙂

4. John Heise January 14, 2016 at 12:41 pm #

Thanks John this post inspired me to both go back yo B/W and also revisit my DCH images.
    Hope you are feeling better.

• JB January 14, 2016 at 2:18 pm #

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with JH.

5. Nicki January 14, 2016 at 12:43 pm #

I love going back and revisiting old images, and am surprised at how different they look after processing with new knowledge and tools. I find it also gives me new ideas of how I want to present them. Not to mention the trip down memory lane. Love this one John, feel better soon.

• JB January 14, 2016 at 2:18 pm #

Thanks Nicki.

6. Dennis January 14, 2016 at 3:45 pm #

Better health to you, John, and a great 2016. Very interesting to hear from the “skymaster.” You have created some of the greatest skies. But, I sometimes like a bald sky to simpiify the image. Your examples are perfect. To me, a dramatic sky in these images would be too complicated. Enjoy your blog. Dennis

• JB January 14, 2016 at 4:24 pm #

Hey Dennis. Good point. I had not thought of this as an anti sky statement! 🙂 Long live the white sky!

7. Steve L January 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm #

What a great idea! Too bad it was necessitated by a cold! haha
    I like what a fresh set of eyes (and new tools) were able to do with these old images….which actually look fresh! Don’t tell anyone they’re from your past archives.

• JB January 14, 2016 at 4:54 pm #

Thanks Steve.

8. Stephan Dietrich January 15, 2016 at 5:54 am #

Discovery – Discovering something you did not know before or did not realize or visualize … or perhaps was there all along awaiting to be discovered or rediscovered. The process of exploration. White sky, big white cloud or true b&w… It works! Thank God you did not delete. Something the digital revolution allows too conveniently to erase. The positive side of being sick and having time to go through things… Get well soon!

9. Brenda Tharp January 19, 2016 at 5:43 pm #

Nice post, John. I agree, I used to think that a white sky was ‘death’ to any photograph. Certainly in color is doesn’t do much, unless it’s a foggy condition. But in Black and White, it can become just another shape in the overall design of the image, as you showed here.

• JB January 20, 2016 at 2:43 pm #

Agreed Brenda.

10. Chuck Kimmerle January 19, 2016 at 5:50 pm #

I would comment, but I was told not to.

• JB January 20, 2016 at 2:42 pm #

Since when as that stopped you? 🙂