Cuban Ballerinas

_DSF6455

I just returned from Cuba, where our group had the opportunity to photograph two premier Ballerinas, at a wonderful old mansion in Havana.  To say this was an extraordinary photographic opportunity, would be an understatement.  I told my wife, it was likely the most fun I’ve ever had making images. The setting was perfect and the two Ballerina dancers beautiful. This type of photography is very much outside of my comfort zone, but, I learned so much and had a blast!  I can’t wait to do it again.

Below is just a taste of what I was able to capture.  More to come!

I am working on dates for next year where this shoot will be included once again!  If you have interest in joining me, write me an email and I’ll add you to a list to be notified once my dates are set.

As a side note. All images made with the Fuji X-T2 with either the 56mm 1.2, 35mm 1.4 or 23mm 1.4 lenses.

_DSF6076

_DSF6088

_DSF6158-Edit

_DSF6382

_DSF6397

This entry was posted in Cuba, Fuji, Fuji X-T2 and tagged , , , , .

1. Rona Schwarz January 27, 2017 at 6:05 pm #

Hi JB!

These are all wonderful and I share your excitement at this discovery! I had the opportunity to do this last year on one of Rad’s Cuba trips and my feelings echoed yours exactly. This was totally outside my comfort zone, being a nature photographer who prides myself in “never shooting people”! It was a marvelous learning experience and easily the most exhilarating shooting we did on our Cuba trip, – and right up there with almost the most fun shooting I have ever done! Definitely worth a trip to Cuba all by itself! Can’t wait to see more of your work here!

• JB January 27, 2017 at 6:16 pm #

Rona, it was your images along with others that made me want to do this! Thank YOU for the inspiration.

2. Steve Zigler January 27, 2017 at 6:27 pm #

Great work, John! It must have been fun to to stretch those creative wings and fly into new territory! Looking forward to seeing more.

3. Rich Lewis January 27, 2017 at 7:06 pm #

Great work John. I love the juxtaposition of these beautiful women and the peeling paint and rust of the mansion’s architecture. I can see that this must have been a special opportunity. Comfort zone or not, these images look like you knew exactly what to do.

4. Jim Mathews January 28, 2017 at 12:03 am #

John you have a great knack of capturing images of what ever comes in front of you! What did you use for lighting?

• JB January 28, 2017 at 12:23 am #

All natural lighting for the most part. Some reflectors were used on some images. Thanks for you kind comment.

5. Stephan Dietrich January 28, 2017 at 11:59 am #

The delicate dance, flow and grace… Whether on the floor or working behind the camera, you definitely danced with your subject and created some fantastic images. As you mention “out of comfort zone” … your portraiture work is awesome, natural and not forced. Some portrait photographers place some in unnatural or uncomfortable positions… These images are awesome! Posture, lighting and working with location or sets at the facility, you’ve captured more than mere portraits, you’ve captured the layered years of history of Cuba and their pride of their delicate dance, music, ballerinas and joy of family, culture and life. Great work JB!

• Stephan Dietrich January 28, 2017 at 12:19 pm #

P.S. The 56mm 1.2 is an amazing lens!

• JB February 1, 2017 at 12:40 pm #

Thank you Stephan!

6. Patrice January 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm #

Awesome photos John.

• JB February 1, 2017 at 12:40 pm #

Thank you Patrice!

7. Carrie Turner February 1, 2017 at 7:52 pm #

Beautiful images. I don’t think of you as a portrait photographer but now I do.

• JB February 1, 2017 at 8:39 pm #

You are too kind. I am not even close to a portrait photographer, but, thank you.

8. Steve L February 2, 2017 at 12:10 pm #

Fantastic images and beautiful lighting!