Warmer Weather Ahead!

20120118_Cuba_0747

I’m excited to be leaving today to co-lead another group to Cuba with Tony Sweet.   One of the best parts of Cuba is its warm friendly people, like this lovely woman who was gracious to pose for a quick snap last year.

I am excited about traveling light with just Fuji Cameras and lenses this year.  And, I’ll be carrying it all in an ONA BAG  that my wife got me as a Christmas gift.  I’ve been lusting after an Ona Bag for sometime, they are works of art! The bag filled with a camera  body, 5 lenses, extra batteries, filters and such, weighed in at a whopping 11 lbs!!  And the bag itself weighs 3.7 lbs.

While I am attracted to the many great cars and architecture, this year I will to be focusing on the people in hopes that I can hone my street photograph/people skills.

Cuba_2013Jan08_1297

Cuba_2013Jan09_0949

Cuba_2013Jan09_1143

This entry was posted in Cuba and tagged .

1. Karl January 3, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

John,
    Have a great adventure in Cuba and enjoy the warm weather. I look forward to seeing your new perspective on street photography/people. Happy New Year.

• john8276 January 3, 2014 at 12:48 pm #

Thanks Karl. Happy New Year to you as well. Hope to be able to shoot together this year.

2. roni January 3, 2014 at 1:11 pm #

john, have an awesome time. i was in cuba in early december, and i loved photographing the people! have a safe trip and i hope you don’t have to much difficulty flying out on this very snowy friday!

• john8276 January 3, 2014 at 1:16 pm #

And your images are excellent Roni! Looking good for my flight as the snow has stopped already this morning!

• roni January 3, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

thanks john,
        glad to hear you won’t have trouble flying out..
        i have been in contact with betty, she is looking forward to this trip…
        i look forward to seeing all your photos when you get back!

3. Carla Francis January 3, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

Have an awesome and safe trip John!

4. Rad January 3, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

John,

Have a great time. I’ll be with you in spirit! Envy is not a big enough word to describe the emotional soonami spinning heart over staying behind this year. And, I’m soooo looking forward to the other play we have planned for this year.

Have fun, be safe, and create great images!

Best,

Rad

• john8276 January 3, 2014 at 3:57 pm #

Your spirit will be felt AND missed this year Rad. We’ll take a few for you!

5. Stephan Dietrich January 3, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

People are the heart and soul of a place… If it were not for those that live there keeping the beat, harmony, rhythm and flow going… it would merely be a ghost town.

You have definitely captured some amazing images from Cuba – especially with your portraits and street candids. The people obviously feel comfortable with you. Keep up the great visions and results!

Have a safe, eventful and productive trip! Look forward to seeing the images! One year I will have to come along! All the best to you all!

• john8276 January 3, 2014 at 5:04 pm #

Thanks Stephan. It would be grand to have you along on a trip.

6. David Franis January 3, 2014 at 4:59 pm #

Have a great trip, John.What a way to start the new year!

• john8276 January 3, 2014 at 5:05 pm #

Yup, not bad David. We are taking names for next years trip. Want to come?!?! :)

7. Stephen McCullough January 3, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

Well I won’t pretend I’m not envious.

I’d love to be joining you. Maybe next time. My Fuji’s are sitting in their bag, ready to roll…

The shot down the hallway, with Ché looking on at the end, is just perfect.

• john8276 January 3, 2014 at 7:50 pm #

Stephen, send me an email please and I’ll add you to the list to be notified.

8. Karen Messick January 3, 2014 at 5:31 pm #

Safe travels! Love these pics! Have lots of fun!

• carls January 3, 2014 at 5:56 pm #

John, let me know when your next Cuba trip will be. Would love to go

• john8276 January 3, 2014 at 7:51 pm #

I’ve put you on the notification list.

9. Dorine L January 3, 2014 at 11:20 pm #

I know you’ll have a great trip JB and i look forward to your amazing imagery. If you find yourself in Tampa with some time to spare send me a message. Would love to say hello!

10. Chase Dallura January 4, 2014 at 2:25 am #

Hi John,
    These pics are so personally intimate. Is this what Cuba is trying to say to us? The story is in the people? Do you ask the subjects to pose or are you serupticious? Thank you for these portraits.

• john8276 January 4, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

Sometimes I ask them permission while other times I’ll try and catch them unaware.

11. Larry Richardson January 4, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

Please say hello to Tony for me. He probably doesn’t remember me, but I met him on top of Grandfather Mountain during a Great American Photography Workshop with Pat O’Hara. Spectacular sunrise in the cold, damp, fog.

• JB January 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

Tony said to say hello and that he did indeed remember you.